CRST

Discussion in 'CRST' started by SCRAMBLER, Apr 8, 2008.

1. schristopher69

schristopher69 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks, for reading my messages. Hazmat, yes, you are right, there could be 10 trucks available sitting at the local TA, but, only one truck is "equipped" with hazmat endorsements, no matter if they came available last of those 10 trucks or first hazmat takes priority. When I started, I was dealing with my past, which I thought was taken care of, but it delayed the approval/clearance from TSA, it took 8 months for me to obtain clearance for hazmat. It is my understanding that CRST is now making drivers obtain them sooner than before. BUT, I can not help but think that for the amount of drivers that come on with CRST, that all of them have a clean record. My situation was challenging, CRST told me that they would have to let me go, ground my truck until I obtained it. But, patiently I worked through it all, and my dispatcher went out on a line to blind himself to the fact that I had not gotten yet. I knew I was going to get it, but it was going to take longer time than CRST was wanting to allow. But in the end it worked out. Funny thing is, since I have got it, and more so since becoming a trainer, training trucks normally do not haul hazmat due to the fact that the new driver has not gotten it yet. Occasionally, the driver will be a rehire, or move over from another trucking Company who already has their endorsement.
    As far as freight being slow, your "Hubby" may have received this message this morning over the Qualcomm, and I am stating quotes directly from there, first one "CRST is one of the top 3 financially strong companies in the industry". We are debt free & continue to profit EVERYDAY". second "3,065 Truck companies consisting of 137,650 trucks went out of business, per transport topics 1/19/09 edition. The first quarter of this year is predicted to be the worst than any quarter last year." It goes on, but my point is, that CRST is a privately owned Company, and debt free, they answer to the family that owns the Company, not a bunch of stock holders. They continue to purchase new trucks even in the slump of the season. It may not be the best company, BUT if the driver(s), are ready, willing, available, and show to the company that they can get the freight there on time and safe, those drivers/trucks will be the ones who are remembered. Myself, I realize that, and I do just that, I can easily state that last year, I know that there were a few months that I brought home more than an owner/operator did. Mind you I am a trainer, and make a little more than a driver, not much but it makes a difference. I spent the money on all the micro, refridg, inverter, and things like that so I did not have to spend money in the truck stops. I shop Walmart once a week, while my student buys burgers and hotdogs out of the truck stops. He will learn". I use my driver payback points to purchase coffee everyday, so I don't even pay for coffee. I hope your husband is successful whatever and wherever he decides, but last thought. With all this said, CRST in comparison with other drivers from other companies, consistantly offer ME more miles than any other company, even in the slow months. Other drivers will say that is BS, but then you ask them if they are doing everything they can to get those miles like suggested earlier. February and March are the two slowest months for trucking industry, and more so this year because of economy, but hang in there, because hopefully after these two months, He will be wanting a day to rest, and have no time for it. Good luck

skullitor and peppermintjoi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. schristopher69

schristopher69 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    This is in response to one who was asking about having to take perdium or not............. According to the students that I have trained recently, there is a prcess that determines who qualifies for the per dium. When I started it was not an option. I have trained students who are on it , and ones who are not. But, honestly, I do not know what "qualifies" you.

4. LadyBird

LadyBird Bobtail Member

Can someone explain exactly what and how per diem is and how it differs from paid per miles? I don't recall my husband ever saying he had a choice.

Thanks in advance.

5. moneymaker

moneymaker Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2008
    cedar rapids,ia
    per diem is part of your pay that is paid on an after tax kinda like a 401k is after tax to make a long story short u pay less taxes through the year and get more on your pay check that being said if you have kids it is good to do if you dont have kids best to try to get out of doing the per diem not to say it will hurt u at tax time

6. teresalorenzen

teresalorenzen Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2008
    moss point, ms
    What info can i get for a solo driver that thinks bout applying for this company? Does this company have ez pass and idle air? If not, how do the drivers keep warm in there trucks when they r in the cold?

7. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    CRST is a TEAM DRIVER company.NO E-Z Pass either,YOU STOP & WAIT to pay your cash to toll booth collectors then wait to be reimbursed.Want Idle air?YOU PAY
    FOR IT!

8. CRST Squid

CRST Squid Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Grantville, GA
    Actually I had a dedicated that ran through tolls 4 times a day so we got ezpass. Also no idle aire. They want you to be comfy so you can idle your truck to stay warm or cool depending. They woukd like you to shut it off when you get out though. I really never stop though so don't need idleaire.

9. teresalorenzen

Aug 11, 2008
    moss point, ms
    is this a good company to work for?

10. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    NO, team driving is tough.Very hard to sleep in a moving bouncing rig.

11. teresalorenzen

Aug 11, 2008
    moss point, ms
    yeah! i know how it is, i use to drive teams when i drove with southern cal out of birmingham, al and it was very hard to sleep when the truck was moving. so what is the best solo companies to work for? i just got fired from gainey transport 2 weeks ago for idleing my truck in the cold weather cuz i was over my idle percentage that they set.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.