cruise control and engine brake driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by medseg2003, Mar 3, 2018.

1. medseg2003

medseg2003 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2017
    hello every one
    i have 2013 cascadia isx2250. yesterday i was driving normally like every day.suddenly cruise kick in by it self and start increasing my speed without touching it . i try to turn it off it won't it stuck on, i push clutch to deactivated it won't the icon still appear on the dashboard., the only way i can turn it off is to push the brake pedal and turn it off manually but after 10 seconds it kicks back on again and keep increasing speed. i notice also that when the cruise kick in the engine brake is not working i try to turn it on by pressing the switch but it 's not responding at all.
    i did also try to turn the power off from the batteries and turn it back on see if it help but no luck still same problem.
    i drove like that for 100 miles to make it truck stop. just 2 miles before truck stop exit i succeed to turn it off manually and also the engine brake switch is working normally
    any one face this before please help thx alot

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Sounds like a serious problem rendering the truck unsafe to operate. If I had to guess, I'd say the cruise activation switch has gone bad. I Guess this is on the steering wheel? Does the truck have any form of "adaptive speed cruise" or forward collision avoidance system? meaning it has a forward radar for seeing slower traffic ahead. If so, maybe put some tin foil over this forward radar sensor so it can't self-test, align, and initiate at startup. If it can't initiate, cruise control will be disabled.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  4. medseg2003

Aug 11, 2017
    thx for replying ,actually my truck does not have those kind of systems. but my be like u said the switch on steering wheel went bad. but if it goes bad does it can affect engine brake also? may be!

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Are you sure its cruise control and not a throttle pedal issue? You'll probably need to get insite hooked up and see what all the values are (cruise on/off, throttle pedal position etc).

6. medseg2003

Aug 11, 2017
    thx for replying
    yes its cruise because i see the cruise sign on the dashboard and it crease the speed by it self even i took my foot of everything just to see where the speed will reach. if i don't use brake it will reach the maximum.
    yes that what the shop told me he need to connected to the computer and see what's going on

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If the CC system is going to a target speed (rightly or wrongly) then it stands to reason the engine brake will be suspended.

Good luck with that problem. Sucks to be you. Furthermore the problem might not necessarily be in the steering wheel. There is probably a "cruise control module" (chip) somewhere that could have flaked out.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That might keep the CC from engaging but shouldn't cause it to engage.

magoo68 and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    If the truck will start accelerating for no reason you have a runaway vehicle which should be parked asap until problem fixed, if company will not do it aim for a weigh station and give the officer a ride.

hagarcobra and Streetroddreams Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Does the truck want to high-idle when parked? Can you make it high-idle? And if so can you cancel the high-idle with the CC switch?

What system voltage are you seeing on the display at idle?

Could also be a bad throttle position sensor. But if it seems to behave normally when parked then I doubt it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.