cruise control not working on 330 pete

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by TowHaul, Oct 14, 2017.

1. TowHaul

TowHaul Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2016
    just finished installing a new fuel sending unit, new exhaust manifold gaskets, noticed the wastegate was broke (but obviously the cruise control was fine before), also replaced the exhaust brake air solenoid . After doing all this i put the truck on a test run and noticed cruise control would temporarily disengage when i hit the brake only to re-engage again without me setting it... Also the exhaust brake signal to the solenoid was/is not working (i tested the solenoid its working fine, its just not getting a signal when i hit the brakes to engage).

Im not sure why this happened only after i did the above repairs. Is there no coinidence? Should i get a brake switch? a cruise control switch? a cruise control toggle switch? a acell toggle switch?

Oh also now i get a check engine light with the error code 55, which means "no faults" so i'm as confused as ever.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    brake control switch
    cruise control switch
    clutch switch
    speed sensor

any of those sound like the culprit or did one of my repairs cause the issue?

4. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    i guess this would be easy to diagnose if i knew which switch powered the air exhaust brake solenoid? is it the ecm or is it the brake switch? The exhaust brake is not receiving a signal so i'm not sure is a seperate problem or related.

5. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    several more test drives i removed the dash panel and examined the accelerator switch, i wiggled all connections and put dash back together. The cruise appears to be working correctly now as i was unable to reproduce the problems, and i also added power to exhaust brake solenoid while motor was running, it apears to be closing the butterfly valve in exhaust, also i can hear it purging when i hit the brakes (however it is not whisling or braking...totally a separate problem i believe). In conclusion at the moment it appears my accel switch was malfunctioning...or maybe still is. Anything else i should be sure to check before i hit the road and leave my toolbox and shop? any other process of elimination methods to exclude the brake switch, clutch switch, speed sensor? Biggest problem i had was that cruise control would turn itself BACK ON several seconds later after i hit the brakes and confirmed deactivated it. It also threw error code 55 (no faults?)

6. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    it was the accel switch i believe. Problem so far fixed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.