CSA 2010: How will the Driver Rating System affect you?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Yatista, Oct 18, 2009.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Are we ciphrin agin ? Hard to say . I've never seen any figures released on how many students CDL mills turn out .

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    So even though it was in the shop for 15 DAYS WHILE I EARNED $0, And they were aware that the tire was bad as I wrote it up along with 3 other problems, it would still be my fault for driving it???
    OK, I get that. But what the hell is a guy with 4 kids gonna do when he has made NO MONEY for 2 weeks and the bills arent going to pay themselves??? He will do exactly what I did, drive the #### truck! (BTW, they only fixed 1 problem of the 4 that I wrote up, and I no longer work for them either) ((STAY AWAY FROM KNIGHT TRANSPORTATION/REFRIGERATED!!!))
    Once again, no consequenses for the big company, but for the lowly driver....you better lube up and bend over!!!

4. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I was setting up a poll (imagine that) and got an "Invalid Thread specified" message. I'll work with Admin to get it set up.

5. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Was this statement intened as a slam towards new drivers?
    Cuz I've seen LOTS OF OLD-TIMERS that need to be removed from the truck also!
    For example, the O/O doing well over the speed limit on the OH turnpike,in the far left lane, with LESS THAN 4 FEET BETWEEN HIS TRUCK AND THE MINI-VAN with at least 3 kids in it, or the company driver I observed on I-270 on the south side of St. Louis at 0830, pulling an empty gasoline tanker, (no doubt, being paid by the hour), weaving in and out of lanes, multiple lane changes w/o ever using a turn signal, cutting people off, from the far right lane all the way to the far left and back, almost missing his exit and cutting over 2 lanes at once, almost hitting my truck and the exit sign, b/c he needed to be somewhere so bad?
    Hopefully CSA 2010 WILL GET ALL OF THOSE TYPES OFF THE ROAD! But I am afraid it will also get rid of ALOT of good drivers as well!
    I guess only time will tell, what really sucks though if any of the drivers that write on this board are removed b/c of CSA 2010, we will most likely never know as he wouldnt be man enough to admit it here!

scorpiorias Thanks this.
  6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    And how do you know that driver was an old timer ? A lot of middle aged people are coming out of CDL mills . With the exception of Canadians the drivers I see speeding , weaving , and tailgating most are from USX and the other bottom feeder companies . Why did USX get cited for documentation falsification when audited and why was Crete fined over $50,000 when audited ? Those are the companies that need to get their act straight or lose drivers .

7. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN

I must agree, I too, see very little to nothing changing in the way companies will change in repair policies.

IF, regulation could have the power to change repair policies...It's possible something like this could work:

Make company mechanics liable for signing off on a truck/trailer with known safety issues and impose STIFF penalties/tickets for the mechanic in the mechanics name. While I certianly understand driver responsibility in maintainence/repair, there are issues that are beyond the drivers ability to control.

The way the system is currently set up, it's all put on the driver. This could be compaired to a Medical doctor having nil responsibilty in a malpractice claim and putting MOST to ALL responsibility of a malpractice claim on say, a nursing assistant and the hospital.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Sorry , but you seem to be the type of driver that needs to go . You ignore safety and regulations and pull a trailer with known defects because you need the money . If you followed regulations you would not have accepted the DVIR YOU filled out and signed it and accepted the trailer . Whose fault should it be other than yours ?
    "Drivers" like you are the problem . When professional drivers quit accepting defective equipment the roads will be a lot safer .

Yatista Thanks this.
  9. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    When is this going into effect Jan 1

10. truckerdave1970

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    While you may be correct about the bottom feeder companies having alot of bad drivers, they do not have all of them. Also, all of the drivers at those companies are not the bad drivers.
    As far as how do I know if "that driver was an old timer?".
    Most O/O's dont go right from a CDL mill into their own truck and most companies that haul gasoline tankers require 2-5 yrs experience, I believe.
    As to big companies that "need to get their act straight", I suggest to you that it is the smaller, less financially stable company that will be hurt the most by this new enforcement tool. It is just another way for the big company to force out competition with Big Brother's Blessing, all in the HOLY NAME OF SAFETY, of course!
    Soon, there will be 15 or so Super Mega carriers to work for all with drivers with less than 5-8 years of experience with turnover of at least 100%(too many pts. on your safety rating and you are replaced).
    Of course, there will still be a few independents around to take the crumbs that the big companies will let them have or take the garbage they dont want or clean up the mess that they made, but in order to regain control of the nation's commerce (cuz believe it or not, DRIVER's literally hold the keys to this country's economy if we only knew how to use them and the folks making these rules know that we are beginning to see that and they are scared of us) they desperately need to get rid of as many drivers with experience as possible or force us to work for less money so we are unable to shut down the truck for ANY REASON. As you know, a starving man, if hungry enough will eat anything! If they keep us hungry, we cant fight back. If we are FIGHTING EACH OTHER, we cant fight the real enemy!
    DIVIDE, DEPRIVE, DISTRACT AND CONQUER!
    That is what is happening, not just in trucking, but to the American public!
    Surely I cant be the only one that is smart enough to realize this, right???

scorpiorias Thanks this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You're not smart at all . You underpaid , desperate drivers that violate regulations because you are too scared or too hungry to shut down will be the first to be disqualified . The newbies are the ones fighting in the industry , like a bunch of starving dogs fighting for scraps of food .
    Don't fool yourself thinking the smaller companies are going broke . Many are smaller because they let the larger carriers have the low paying customers and the only service the premium customers that don't mind paying an appropriate rate for professional service .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.