Cummins,Detroit,or Mack MP8?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dadetrucking305, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Looking to purchase a truck from 10’-14’.I know they all have problems and emissions have made them worse,but which is the most reliable out of the 3 and which is the cheapest to fix? Thanks.

If I run into emissions problems with any I will delete.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Cummins, I in framed my 2008 CM-871 in the driveway with a bag of tools and an iPhone. Cummins Quickserve, it’s free, gives you step by step directions on anything and everything that could go wrong with that motor. Along with step by step diagnostics and how to.

Also, programming is easy to obtain when it comes time to fix those emission issues. I just helped a friend on Friday to reflash his Cummins ECM up at the local TA. He had it in st the dealer for an unrelated issue and they flashed his ECM. We got it back to the proper settings.

Cummins has issues, they all do. But, the ISX is a very well known quantity. See Rawze.com for more info. Only emission motor I would own.

4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Detroit all the way. Cheap(ish) to buy, cheap(ish) to fix, reliable, easy to maintain.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't know cheapest to fix. Put aside savings. Within the year should have 40,000 against any potential need up to and including a complete engine replacement.

Cummins is one RPM. They are best at that. I like them. But I would not put money on one out of my pocket.

MAck has horses and pull in every gear all the time. VERY attractive. I had a little 350 mack of the early 80's brand new. with it's short rockwell 9 I fell in love with it. (And I would fall in love with it again in Arkansas during the late 2000's)

Detriot is my bread and butter. 505, 515 etc. Lugging that wont quit upgrade provided Mr Pyro is cool with it.

Computers are taking away Mr Pyro and other gauges. Leaving me with a idio's dash board with just fuel, pri, sec, speed, RPM, auto crap and big buttons for brake and trailer. Mr Pop tells me there is a problem. Everything else Im told to go away child by the shop mechanic who hefts a 100 pound computer fixing to drive that to find the problem I just told the ####### about in the first place after research.

They never listen.

One day I fixing to make them listen. But that's stupid. If they want to wallow in ignorance and failure to hear drivers who actually give a #### telling them what the problem is..... then fine let em wallow. Ignore list is no different.

CAT? Well. Show me a old yellow. Then we will talk. Anything newer? Nuh uh. I love cats. Sheesh

So it's back to Detriot. They need to break into the realm of 750 horse and 1900 and up torque.

I understand they use 380's in battle taxis with armor that runs with M1 tanks in war. That's BS, when the dear Germans come up with a thousand purring horsies and kick their tanks around right with ours.

The speed limiting needs to stop. It takes less horses to hold a 18 wheeler at 85 than it does to wind out a crappy 450 governed at 62 in the next gear redlined on the hilly ohio road.

Oldironfan and intrepidor Thank this.
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Cummins CM2350. If you buy CM2250 check the EINs. Also check to see CM2250 has brass shims under liners. Cummins aftertreatment is easy to fix and all parts are available separate.

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Reliable? easy to maintain? )))))))))) have you ever changed air compressor or doser block on DD15 ? or have you ever paid from your pocket to replace overheated 1-box?

Oldironfan, stwik, Jazz1 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Very expensive motor to repair. I won't relate to you what the guys at the plant that builds these motors told me at the bar across the street from the plant in Redford MI. It was not nice.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What bar?

I don't see a bar ??

Tappers?

D-train628 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    This motor originally was designed for Mercedes Actros. It's a European cabover. Later Daimler pushed it to US market. If this motor is mounted on cabover it's a little easy to service ... Some guys are complaining that Cummins liners are bad designed. They don't know anything about DD15 liners . Coolant is isolated by rubber o rings and if top one will leak the engine must be tear down.

Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I think it is Tappers, right next door to ThermoKing... I was in there waiting for a ride when I dropped off my truck to have the APU installed. Bunch of Detroit guys in their, they had just gotten off of work. I quietly asked one of the guys at the bar how these new motors were, what were his thoughts... Oh boy... This guy said he had been there for nearly 30 years... I will not repeat what he said, but even the bar tender was nodding her head yes along with everyone else in the bar. There were around twenty guys in there, most of them worked at the plant. I left it at that.

Oldironfan and Tug Toy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.