Cummins ISX CM871 Technical discussion

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Rawze, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014

It's just a process of elimination with these "Loping" issues nichole8776. One day mine runs flawlessly, the next three days it idles like it's going to quit and I just did injectors, ran the overhead, new ECM, all kinds of work recently. It's something that you have to chase down a little at a time. In my experience, you can dump boatloads of $$$ into this kind of deal going to the wrong or inexperienced shops. If it doesn't throw any codes, it's tough for anyone to pinpoint and anything aside from an electronic gremlin that is mechanical won't provide a code at all. This stuff kills me because I consider myself a decent enough mechanic on most all the other things associated with trucks to hold my own...but these gremlins can really be a challenge. That's when I always like to consult with the "Old man on the Mountain" when I can. By that I mean someone I really hold valuable in this field of expertise...and I myself am getting ready to consult with Bruce Mellanson (spelling?) of Pittsburgh Power soon to discuss my loping issues. They seems to be able to conquer anything that comes along with their team of engineers and folks with a ton of deep knowledge, not just a bunch of guessers.

I wish you luck!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sandin

Sandin Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2014
    6 time in cummins ,(volvo truck ) they change turbo egr valve dpf filter catalisator delta p sensor , 2 pipe next to delta p sensor exhaust pressure sensor and truck still doing regeneration every 2-3 hours . ECM software was update ... Somme days work fine regeneration every 350 to 400 miles most is every 2-3 hours and i believe cummins offer to pay repair to anyone who find the problem ...Engine is ok of course they check it all ...

4. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Had the exact same problem, we fixed it when we replaced the engine. Nobody could ever figure out what was wrong.

5. wizbang

wizbang Bobtail Member

May 1, 2014
    b.c.
    Sandin, go into your program and check the soot level counter if possible, maybe programmed wrong. if you have trouble ask at rawze.com, good luck

6. Rramireztrkn

Rramireztrkn Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Can anyone help,
    i have a 08 Pete 388 with a Cummins isx 871 model ST400. In the past two months it's cost me a little over $10,500.
    I've replaced all six injectors twice , doser injector three times. Also replaced with new head, turbo, turbo actuator. I also did a EGR tune up ( thanks to Rawze for the tips ) and replaced all the sensors. My mechanic had it , Peterbilt had it and Cummins took a shot at it. Cummins even dyno tested it and still could not figure it out. My original problem was intermediate white smoke. I've come to realize that the white smoke is coming from the DOC being plugged with heavy soot. Now the question is what's plugging it ? Fuel mileage is down and I haven't added any coolant since the last worked done . ( that was about 6,000 miles ago.) It burns what cummins says is normal in oil which is about a gallon every 10k miles.

7. attackkatt

attackkatt Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Rockledge Florida
    Did the map sensor myself 25.00 on ebay last month... easy fix. But yesterday one of my trucks de-rated The Dozer and reset 700.00 "but it was my Tn dealer so higher other places" Today same truck ,,,, aftertreatment temp sensors "3 on top of afterburner on 386" burned out because of bad Dozer.

8. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    We'll bad news for this ole gal today. Dealer called n said my DOC has to be replaced n they're going to clean the dpf n HOPE it cleans well enough...:-(

9. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    I'd like to know how the DOC gets plugged also... Maybe HeavyD could shine some light on this

10. attackkatt

attackkatt Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Rockledge Florida
    ATTENTION CUMMINS ISX FUEL PUMP CAMPAIGN = FREE RODS MAINS, OIL PUMP, FUEL PUMP. The fuel pumps on my identical Petes went out a week apart 350,XXX miles. The y have a newly designed pump to replace it. The first ISX was showing rail faults but drivable to dealer, pump replacement 1200.00. "didn't know of the "campaign" BUT ... The second ISX broke this awful ceramic plunger in the pump and stopped in its tracks. IF THE TRUCK SHUTS OFF GOING DOWN THE ROAD THE PLUNGER PIECES GO THROUGH THE OIL AND ENGINE BEFORE RETURNING TO PAN AND FILTER !!! I just mentioned the word RECALL and my dealer in TN told me even before dropping the pan that the rods and mains had to be replaced. Over 8,000.00 in parts 4000.oo labor it was all covered by cummins even the oil change. Took only 2 days. DEFECTIVE PUMPs BTW we have no warranty on this used truck. Good Luck :biggrin_25525:

11. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Need to tag so I can find later.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.