Cummins ISX Overhaul

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Kallin, May 28, 2017.

1. Kallin

Kallin Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    It was my understanding I was getting a complete overhaul with a 200K warranty. Of course, I found out afterwards I actually paid $1600.00 for the warranty.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kallin

Kallin Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    The only thing I received was an estimate which lists one injector. I did not even know that was a fuel injector when I looked at the estimate. I thought the fuel injectors would be replaced with the overhaul so I thought it was another kind of injector. Cummins says they do not test, check, or replace injectors. All they did was put on new ORings.

4. Kallin

Kallin Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    A lesson for everyone. Have the shop spell out every single thing they will replace and test!!!!! I did not do this because I had the truck towed to Cummins on purpose because I put my faith and trust in them to do a great job for me. To add to the headache, my warranty certificate has a check next to injectors so I was under the impression all of the injectors were covered.

5. Kallin

Kallin Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yes, I now totally agree with you. Cummins did not discuss this option. What a nightmare.

6. Kallin

Kallin Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Overhaul kit, rod bearings, RCN cooler, head cylinder, turbo, lube pump, damper, egr valve, fuel pump and the $1600 for the warranty that I thought came with the overhaul (it was coded on the estimate that I thought was a part). Cummins charged me $18+k for the parts and $6.5K for the labor, with taxes $26.3k.

7. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Ahh... if you been in trucking long enough to have that kind of money, then you should already know that dealerships are spelt like this: stealerships...

I cant understand why you would agree to spend that type of money and not know wether you bought $3600 worth of injectors???

an overhaul at its foundation is: liners, pistons, main & rod bearings... everything else is optional or at discretion

Theres no way I would let a dealership rebuild my motor without the shop foreman agreeing to call me in to inspect the important steps like looking @ old bearings, checking liner height, watching new injectors get put in... etc or just let me help...

The ISX overhaul kit isnt even coming with main bearings or rod bearings- one or the other i forget... but got to buy seperate/ and if you didnt ask, theres a chance they didnt care enough to do that... oh man what a mess SMH

And chances are they didnt change out the emission sensors...

Remember Most will not go the extra mile: most of these places, dont, care. Your just extra revenue and busy work, send you out and on with the next. They will only do what you tell them, if that... Crucial to have special shops that you know & know you for this type of work- if not better set the terms and watch like a hawk... i know i do, i dont trust most places, ESPECIALLY DEALER I MEAN STEALERSHIPS!!!!!

...shouldnt be like that I know

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    boneebone Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Unfortunately "overhaul" and "inframe" are very subjective terms and don't exactly mean the same thing to everyone. You can ask 5 different mechanics to define those terms and you'll get 5 different answers. Its really on the owner to go through the quote and verify that all the work they want completed is written up.

spyder7723 and passingthru69 Thank this.
  9. Kallin

Kallin Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I have said this before, you can "overhaul" an engine a 100 different ways. You can only replace liners and pistons and still call it an "overhaul". There is no one true price to how much an overhaul will cost because there is almost unlimited combinations of parts you can replace or not. I do agree that injectors should be replaced, I would totally recommend that. The problem is, everyone wants the cheapest possible overhaul and they do not realize the only way to get that cheapy overhaul is to cut corners like what happened here. If you want cheap labor, you have to get the work done at Joe's Garage. Shops like a Cummins distributor will be expensive labor rates, but they will stand behind their work at any Cummins location. If you want a true "overhaul" you need to replace as much as you can. If you can afford the extra cost, I would just replace the whole engine with a complete reman. That way every single seal, gasket and part has been reconditioned or replaced. A reman is more money, but you get so much more to justify that extra cost for things like a completely new engine wiring harness, all sensors and also an ECM. Well worth the higher price tag.

AModelCat and wore out Thank this.
  11. Kallin

Kallin Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yes, this was an inframe overhaul. The warranty certificate showed me ReCon options covered are injectors, turbo, cylinder head, connecting rods, and lube pump with no further explanations. So I thought for sure all of the injectors were covered. It is unfathomable to me for a shop to put injectors that had 900,000 miles on them back into a truck without checking with the owner what they wanted to do about them.

12. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I don't deal with the warranty side of things but is it possible that was just a generic warranty certificate with a disclaimer saying it only applies if those parts were replaced?

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.