Cummins N14 Celect+ ECM troubles

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by thesvg, Feb 27, 2021.

1. thesvg

thesvg Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hello all

Yesterday my N14 ECM decided to have a seizure. It was on cruise idle warm up when all of a sudden the truck started sputtering and giving out random timing sensor and injector codes. The main code was sid 252 id 12 witch shows as cummins 111 red code. Bad microprocessor.

This is the third time its happened in general and the first its happened on new injector, sensor, and direct power from battery harness.

I am thinking I may have an issue in the OEM harness and would love to isolate the TPS wiring and route it straight from the ECM to the pedal. I'm also considering of using the outgoing voltage wire from the ECM to fuel solenoid, run it through a relay with power straight from the battery.

I lasted three years with this ECM from heavy duty power train or maybe I got a bad ECM from them.

Any tips or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I do not totally follow you but did not production of the N14 stop about 20 years ago. If the harness has not been replaced that could be a problem. Those wear out just like other things.
    I have seen OEM ecm's not last 3 years. ECM's are not usually the problem. Wiring issues, loose connections and people crossing up + and - are a more common problem.
    Sounds like you have a much longer story you are not sharing?

4. thesvg

thesvg Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Injector and sensor harness is 3-years old. OEM harness is not replaceable but you can wire the TPS sensor straight from the ECM.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Do not thank I can be of any help to you. Will say I have had problems with non OEM sensors and I would love to put a test ECM on that if I were working on that. Best of luck.

thesvg Thanks this.
  6. thesvg

thesvg Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Very much appreciated.

I am just going to require the OEM harness. Better safe than sorry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.