Cummins vs. Cat

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gtn428, Oct 26, 2008.

1. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    do you have possibility to close exhaust or it is always straight?

how this affect on your health?

i know some machine workers(worked in different metal factories ) which have problems with ears now because of noise and they did not wear earprotection

all our trucks with open exhaust can be also quite because in austria you must be quite, they even can fine you if they see you have bypass

is it worst than here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F8-UtlqK0M

one of comments is:

a u kabini necujes svoje misli

MultiMica91 1 year ago 22 [​IMG]

which means : and in cab you cant hear your own thoughts

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    That is loud!! That's an old merc too!

4. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    for US members this is mercedes ng from 1973, this kind of gearstick was used until 1976 , they were v6 v8 v10 and sometimes v12 ,quite loud engine, but here also opened window and most probably miss something from exhaust

btw note that it dont have brakes but he use handbrake( left of steering wheel) , on such model handbrake should be close to gearstick on engine tunnel in 1985 they replace it to location where this one is......

Scania man Thanks this.
  5. Polarbear857

Polarbear857 Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Coatesville pa
    Dont know if anyones heard but Pittsburg power has figured out how to deacert the c15's Bruce says they are the best motor you can get and they are Detroit fans. Thats right the experts say Cat.

6. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    People have been doing that with help from tuning companies for the last few years. It's not something new.

7. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    I'd believe that! Any problems with the EPA after they're done?

This environmental crap is ruining engines

8. Mr. Haney

Mr. Haney Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2008
    It is a straight exhaust with no mufflers. Have I lost some hearing ability? Yes, roughly 10% the last time I had a hearing test done.

I refuse to use the jake brake on the truck, because it will actually make my ears hurt if I use it for more than 20 seconds or longer. I changed the pipes to raise them higher above the cab to get the noise as far away from me as I could. Unfortunately this didn't help. I have run a small resonator under the truck in the past, but this doesn't help either. When you start building big Hp numbers the exhaust noise gets obnoxious with a CAT

Running straight pipes is illegal here, but I've never been given a ticket for it.

Is it as loud as the video you posted? Probably, but the CAT has a high pitch to its rap, so I think its more obnoxious at the same decibel level.

Scania man Thanks this.
  9. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    we use here normal exhaust with bypass pipe parallel to scr/silencer , it include cylinder same as used on exhaust butterfly to switch between silent/loud

that could be perfect reason to have bypass silencers instead of only straight pipes

is that worth your health?

here is how this truck should sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu4PyYLl4fc&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAcy1xGYRkg&feature=plcp

10. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Earplugs, gentlemen, earplugs. I always wear them unless I need the noise to stay awake.

Been wearing them since I got my class A license and drove a one stack Mack with a window in the back.

DrtyDiesel and Scania man Thank this.
  11. Icee

Icee Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Finland
    Holy crap what sacrifices people do for a straight pipe. Tested the r580 v8 I drove in a tunnel and according to the phone it was 97db in the cab (7% so your on full throttle the hole way, 3km)
    I take 50-60hp less and a silence over a straight pipe :)

Scania man Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.