Cummins vs. Cat

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gtn428, Oct 26, 2008.

1. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.

4. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL

5. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.

6. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL

7. RKH

RKH Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Forget all the PDF,DEF,SCR go with a Glider Kit and a 07 c-15 or even better c-16 Cat.....

8. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    The bad part is that Gliders are costing virtually as much as a new one with all the acronyms that need to be avoided.

9. WildHog

WildHog Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2011
    AR
    I have a 3406E Cat, Cummins N14 and ISX and Detroit 12.7.
    Hands down the N14 has been the best of the bunch.
    I love Cat. They built the world but I call them like I see them. That Cummins just keeps on running.
    My N14 does not use a drop of oil either. I've never personally seen a diesel engine in a truck that didn't use a drop of oil from oil change to oil change but my N14 does it.
    The ISX is the most Powerful of the bunch and the 3406E is next with the N14 and then the Detroit.
    The Best Jake Brake by a mile is on the ISX and the N14 and Cat are good too but nothing like the ISX.
    The only problem that I've had with the ISX is the EGR Cooler and Turbo. Fix those and it is one bad hot rod. My ISX is pre-DPF too.

10. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    I beg to differ..
    having driven a bunch of N-14s, I have to yelp them out on their "injector intervals" per say... I've gone through about a thousand injectors in a bunch of N-14s I've driven in the past 11 years and never a single injector on a CAT!
    I drove a detroit 12.7L 350HP 4.70 rears and 9spd tranny, for a good 8 months (I'd dare mention this since it was a big impact in my driving career) this thing would run 75 MPH flat at 21 RPMS! that's right, 2100 revolutions per minute and never broke. I asked the onwer for a bigger engine (him being a mechanic) but his reply at the frequently asked question was, if it breaks I'll put another one in it, just like it.
    I drove a bunch of all of these engines, I love the 3406E CAT.. with a blow by of 4 inches and still pulling I-70 west on the rockies at 30 mph at 78k lbs gross with an 18 spd in a 1997 W900L.. it was a rush to drive that truck, loved it more than any other, even my beloved current truck now.

I drove 2 N-14s in the same 2 month back to back about 2 years ago for 2 months, (the driver to one of them quit and went home across the border). one was a century with a 10 spd and 3.58 rears, the other a volvo with a 10 spd and 3.58 gears. the century gave me 6.5 mpg while the volvo only did 5.8. same loads, same routes same trailers (as I switched since I liked the continental tires on it) having said all these the conclusion is always the same..

what do you prefer? SONY or Samsung? sprite or coke? CRST or CR ENGLAND? do your homework, believe in what you do. if any of these engines really sucked the would be no longer available, ask Mercedes. you say CATs 2007 and up suck, I said you should seat and have a talk with Mr Haney.

DD15s are bad mofos, I drove one for 5 months when they first came out and I was impressed. bunch of harness problems, harness was replaced 3 times during those 5 months.
    ISX bunch of EGR problems, good fuel mileage when calibrated right. not enough pull power for me (1 of the trucks I drove with an ISX was a WINCH TRUCK)
    volvos suck.. don't want to get into the all and all, but I just state my opinion on them. break down and you count your blessings you're near a volvo dealer that can REALLY work on your VOLVO!

CATs 2007 and up NO EGR !

11. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I'm not out to be some bad@ss, I just want a truck I like, nothing billy big rigger about having nice things[/QUOTE]

Well then detriot wins hands down much louder then cats!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.