curious about line haul division

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by lonelyguy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. lonelyguy

lonelyguy Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2014
    yeah....I have a friend that left my company last year and went to OD....NEVER touched the dock! Told me, I could do combo....but said that's really for all the new guys. I had another friend that went through OD's training(for a driver) had to do 2 years of combo work, then was able to get more driving in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TRUCKEE411

TRUCKEE411 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Combo work doesn't always include dock work. It could be a combination of city pick up and delivery two days in a row, followed buy two nights of line haul, and a day of shuttling trailers back n forth between terminals. only thing when doing line haul for most LTL companies you need to be prepared to layover in a hotel( payed for by the company), so bring clothes and toiletries.....

4. lonelyguy

lonelyguy Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I'm NOT looking to go home except for atleast once a week! I've talked with some other line haulers......extra board is pretty much what I should be starting out with! Now if only the middle of next month would hurry up(gotta renew my CDL and have my Hazmat added on), I can start going into terminals and putting in apps/talking to companies.

5. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    Freight is entering the dead time of year, probably not as much hiring going on now. If you can hold off till Feb or March more opportunities will become avaiable.

XPO Logistics (it's official now, see ya Con way) probly gonna be real hard to get into, no barns in MI are hiring drivers atm.

And "combo driver" references doing p&d sometime and line haul or regional sometime, not driving and working dock. R+L carriers is a big freight company where drivers do not work dock. When I interviewed at estes was told there'd be minimal dock work.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    paul_4lp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.