Curious SWR

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by madmoneymike5, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Ok tnx. Well as a generic SWR meter only. It appears that when you key the mic, then calibrate the meter by adjusting the needle over to the right to the words set. Then flip the switch down to reflect position. Now according to the meter, it looks like if you have 1.5 for SWR, you have 4% reflective power. Which means if you have a 4 watt output radio, you got about roughly 1/8 of a watt being reflected back to the radio. Which is very good. Of course that depends on the accuracy of the meter. Hope that helps.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    It looks like to me it's sitting at 1.1 in the photo, but that's due to parallax error. It's actually sitting at 1.0 because I wasn't transmitting when I took the picture. (Not enough hands and fingers.)

However, when I transmit on 1 or 40, it moves to about 1.25. When I transmit on 19, it doesn't even move off of 1 usually, just when it spikes to 3+.

By the way, I think I found the cause of my SWR spikes. I started wiggling my coax around at various ways down and noticed that the spikes occurred more frequently when my hand moved the section of coax nearest the radio. I mean, right *at* the radio. Then I noticed that my FME connector locking nut had come loose. So I tightened that up and the spikes seemed to have stopped.

Time will tell!

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    WTH are you using an FME connector?

5. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Maybe that's not what it's called? It's the kind where the PL-259 can come off and makes the coax capable of being routed through smaller channels.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok that's what it is, It is a good choice but unusual.

7. Zonie

Zonie Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Actually 19 is the center of the band, There are some gaps and such to accomodate other uses (RC control) that make 19 the middle, not 20.

You are there though. if you tune for the ends like that and get 0 at 19, you are doing better than most!

Sounds like that connector was the problem and you got it. Maybe your other antenna is ok then. I have that connector on my Stryker Mag Mount. They are pretty common now.

8. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I always got 1.25 to 1.5 with the Skipshooter, depending on speed and whether the was laying forward or vertical due to wind resistance.

Raises the question, which is better? A 7' Skipshooter with 1.25 SWR that can't be tuned or a tunable 5' Firestik II with perfect SWR. "Better" being more transmit range.

9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

If both antennas are the same brand and height, your not going to notice any difference since your talking 1.1 versus 1.25 swr readings.

What would make any difference in performance, would be the difference in length of the antennas.

Sometime while you are bored doing your 34 hr reset, maybe you can do an experiment with the two antennas, and let us know. I think it would be interesting to see how much difference a 2 foot longer antenna would make.

madmoneymike5 Thanks this.
  10. Throne64

Throne64 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Fire stick antenna is useless junk

11. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Me to, especially with the slightly different SWR readings.

So far, my experience has been the opposite. I have perfect SWR, it doesn't flop around like my Skipshooter does, and the receive range has been as good as the Skipshooter. (Of course, part of that has to do with the source of the transmission.)

Care to elaborate on why you have this opinion?

Timin770 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.