Current Choice driver

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Knightcrawler, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Ok, I have been looking at Landstar vs Choice. I pretty much know the pros and cons of both. Applied to LS and they told me to re-apply in a year (I have a ticket I got in Jan that was stayed for a year - isnt on my record or PSP but is there on a courts record search).

My situation: I have enough cash to buy a 3 year old truck and an 850 credit score so getting a truck is no big deal. I got my CDL in 84 (always as a company driver) and my father was a city driver from before I was born so Ive been around the biz a while. I have seen LSs board demo, Ive poked around on their live overflow board, and Ive poked around their live drivers board for a bit and seen whats what in various locations, but I havent seen it as much as I would like to frankly. Was poking with their recruiting dept. on the live drivers board.

I just called Schneider Choice recruiting. They told me they dont have a demo (I saw a video of it and it worked basically the same as LS anyway) but they also werent able to let me see their live board so I can see whats going were. To get a feel for the lanes. The recruiter told me to find an O/O that would let me look on his account. This seems strange to me, but there you have it.

Is anyone willing? I wont book loads for you, not interested in specific shippers/receivers ect. Just looking to find out in advance how much I should expect to find going in/out of Minneapolis and building myself a lane. And also to see if I am going to make enough for what I need.

If you are willing, please send me an email to MichDsr @ yahoo with the info I need (web link and any other info I need to access it). And thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    If you get a response that'd be silly of the responder to do.

Everything about an IC from address to settlements to loads to deductions are accessible thru our portal.

Not saying you would but giving out that info could prove costly to the IC.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011

Yep, no one is going to give you their access info that would be incredibly stupid. I wouldn't even give someone I knew acsess let alone a stranger asking on a public forum.
    The only way you'll be able to see it live would be if you knew an ic already.
    Matter of fact personally I wouldn't even show you if you approached me at a trk/ stp.
    No offense to you.

5. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    long shot , but your brst bet is to hit the truck stops near you and what ic's may be willing in person.

6. Knightcrawler

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Lol, like I said, it seemed strange to me, but I put it out there the same as it was put to me. No way in hell would I join Choice blind, not knowing how many loads they got coming and going from and to here, and what other options I would have between them. I can wait another 10 months and head to LS. It wont kill me.

7. mxpx148

mxpx148 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    I can tell you this, idk much about the MN market, but you could do fairly well even if taking a cheaper load out to WI/IL/IA...lots of freight down there.

8. Knightcrawler

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Well, heres the deal. Im a line haul driver for a LTL company. I make .65 a mile. If I were to buy a truck and have to pay all the taxes my current pay would be .70 a mile. Plus health ins will run about $500 a month. Assuming 10k miles a month so thats going to add a nickel a mile. So realistically it isnt worth while to take a risk on the truck vs being a company driver for less than 1.20 a mile AFTER expenses, which I figure to be around .80 a mile. So before I would even consider it, I would have to pretty clear in my mind that I can make $2 a mile regular.

I know I can do that at Landstar. I saw their live board at 7pm on a tuesday and they had 18,000+ loads then. In the morning you can figure that count will double. And the average rate per mile of those 18+k loads was 2.14 a mile (not counting FSC). So the question is, can I find lanes to run in and out of Mpls that will pay me the numbers I need with Choice?

9. mxpx148

mxpx148 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Stay with what you have now, or run Walmart if you qualify...you can do it, but not consistently. If I was making what you were, and could deal with local, I would never have signed on...JMHO

driverdriver Thanks this.
  10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Those rates you saw on the landstar live board are before landstar takes their cut...just so you know so you can figure what the rate will be for you..

mxpx148 Thanks this.
  11. Knightcrawler

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Yes, I realize that. They were also without FSC. So at 75% (I would have a refer at LS) and add in fuel, I would be looking at about 2.20 +/- depending on the exact FSC.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.