Current Lease Owners??

Discussion in 'Knight' started by mitchtazz, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Was trying to find a lease owner so i can pick their brain.. I know there are/were some users on the forum that use to lease, and use to work for Knight, but i'm not sure if they still do or dont. And i was trying to get some updated information. I told my DM about my plans and he emailed me a packet with alot of information, but i'm not sure how current any of it is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JAX853

JAX853 Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    I don't recommend the lease if you are just starting with the company. The most important question to ask, "Can you see yourself working with this company for the next 3 years".

Mommas_money_maker and OverDrive Thank this.
  4. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

It's been 3 1/2 yrs since I worked for Knight (as Express), but I remember when the lease program 1st started about 7 yrs ago. Met many lease drivers while on the road, got bumped from loads several times as a co. driver to give my load to them. Also, they started out getting 3 PP's at a time to cherry pick from, and we co. drivers got the left overs! But after about 18 mos of the lease program, I would return to the Knight term in Phx and see a whole line of turned-in lease trucks in the 'prep area' to either re-lease or remove the lease decals and assign to reg. co. drivers. Dont know if it has improved since then, but many complained about being locked in with Knight for maint/insur/etc. and were barely making enuf $ to pay their mo. lease bill/fuel/etc. Heard that it was hard enuf just to make a few bucks let alone an expected typical o/o living...Knight gives the lease driver just enuf to keep them 'hooked'..

5. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Oh, well I wasn't going to buy their truck. I'd bring my own to the table, that way if things go sour I can always take it somewhere else. I've heard good and bad, but can't really tell whats b.s and whats not.

6. OverDrive

Owning your own truck (not bought from Knight) may or may not be a plus for you. On one hand, they have less leverage over you and no truck payment to them...but then again, if you leased from Knight, they want their $$ and have to run you to get it...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    As long as they ran me like they're runnong me now, i'll be ok. But I need to find out more about that fuel protection deal and how exactly/frequently they inform the contractor of the change in the freight rate.

8. OverDrive

Just remember to sock some $ away during the good times, cause come Jan-Mar it gets lean all across the industry..Good luck. OD [​IMG]

9. TrucKer 999 TriLLion

TrucKer 999 TriLLion Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Ca
    i myself have also thought about that Lease program with knight.....but theres another side in me sayin nope wait a few years, maybe another 3-10 yrs.......

are knight trucks lease to own ????....

10. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Pm me your email and i'll send you the info packet they sent to me. Yes they're lease to own, but there's a baloon payment at the end. You pay between $1200 - $1600 a month and at the end of the lease you have to pay $8000 (ballon payment) and then you get the title. Alot of people say they slow you down right before it's paid off so you can't pay it off, but another one of those convo's you hear at the denny's in thr flying j. I've seen way too mNy lease owners in freightliners and kenworths to think that knight is straight skit when it comes to leasing.

11. OverDrive

BTW look at the price Knight is asking in the trucking mag classifieds for their used Volvos/Pete's, etc.

Then look at what their lease price is for basically the same trucks (used to be 3-5 YO with 400-600K miles)---what I remember is that the lease trucks ran about $15-20K higher....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.