Current state of trucking industry summed up into one image

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Apr 30, 2022.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    im not wasting my time adding hours to a trip, bid the run to make money and write the fuel off

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    heck I was running about 67 down 95 last night and this morning they were blowing my doors off 80 plus I’d say.

4. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015

Unless you're talking about cross country trip, the added trip time is negligible.

You're not writing anything off. That fuel is eating into your profit regardless of what you think.

Knock yourself out tho.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  5. abyliks

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    all fuel burned is 100% tax write off and I’m not tripping over dollars to pick up dimes, my TIME is worth more then that, although I know a vast majority of the industry has no problem giving theirs away for free, but I’m not,

6. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Exactly. Bottom feeders and/or undercutters are the only ones that have to worry about such nonsense. Sure glad some of us can count and handle taxes accordingly.

7. abyliks

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    If you have several trucks moving your own product it is one thing, but for the average hired owner operator I simply value my time more, you can always make
    More money, you’ll never get that time back.

also being in the northeast with the hills and running heavy, I better pad the fuel bill to begin with because it goes quick regardless.

8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    You got it. I make the same amount per day no matter what. I add fuel and other operating expenses on top of my day rate. Fuel goes up, so does my rate. Fuel foes down, so does my rate. The cost of fuel, or anything else has no effect on my profit. It only affects the rate. I try to build my rates with an average of 100/hr minimum for the time it takes to make the turn.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, it's common business sense to NOT give something away( unless it promotes your business somehow), and I'm on your side, I wouldn't be here if I wasn't, BUT, the problem is, you pass that extra cost to the already over burdened consumer, something has to give. As a consumer, I know we just can't pay anymore for goods, and what will happen, is consumers will only buy the absolute necessities, and unless you happen to haul those said items, you may be out of luck, in the short term, anyways. I like your optimism, again, can't be a pessimistic business owner, but I really don't think fuel is going to come down, along with $5 dollar boxes of crackers, we, as a country, are in a mess I'm not sure we'll recover from, and all the "fuel surcharges" in the world won't help you. sorry, as an old timer, I just think I see where all this is going and history has shown in situations like this, it gets a lot worse before a revolt of some sort, and we're a ways off from that.

10. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I guess if you keep the left door shut you can make time running 5 over the speed limit. Mainly what I see though running 3 under or so, I usually pass the same guy 3-5 times. Whether on hills or catch up in traffic etc. now if you are running 55 in 70 that’s a road hazard. I feel like running a bit slower helps keep me out of the packs of idiots also that like to bunch up and run 70 plus in a heard.

11. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Diesel 6.59 in pa.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.