Curtainside Questions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Doing_flatbed_nc, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    im about to buy a 48' curtainside, tandem axle flatbed and have some questions.

1) do the buckles holding the curtains down count toward securement? I'm asking bc this trailer only has 5 4" strap winders on the side rail. I would think 5 is not enough for a lot of loads.

2) it has van doors on the back. Can I accept van loads on a load board? Or am I dumb?

Uh.. besides the normal stuff, what should I look out for?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I don't think the buckles count towards securement, at least on the curtain sides that I've pulled.

Make sure you leave at least one roof support bar in place on each side or the roof will bow down,and be darned near impossible to get the bar back in.

4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Myself I'd be looking out for a roll-tite kit. A little pricier, but a more versatile trailer. Can load it with an overhead crane for instance. Most have equipment tie-downs in the floor or hook tracks for securing loads.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  5. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    you can also get a roll tight trailer with back van doors on it. we have 3 like that i pull one and load van freight on the regular to fill LTL spots.

6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    No, it does not qualify as a tiedown. I've seen some drivers close the curtains and roll without throwing a single strap over lumber before.

Unless you are dealing exclusively with building materials, curtain sides are highly limited for flat deck. If you are looking for an easy tarping solution, I mirror the others here and suggest a roll-tite. Steel is a big part of flat deck, and most of it is loaded with a crane.

7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I'd like to se a picture of the way the doors are attached on the back of you don't mind? Is it like the bulkhead ot the front?

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  8. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Well, I found a broker who can run me in a 300 mile radius and he says there's no steel, just building supplies/ pallets.

I know it will limit me but for what I'm looking to do, I think it's going to work.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Thanks for the replies guys.

9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    No, your tarp isn't securement. Get more winches.

You can haul anything that can fit, can be loaded, and that you can secure.

cke Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Buckles on Curtains are NOT SECUREMENT for the load inside. Hell no. If there was auto glass in there wanting out it's ripping through the curtain on it's way off the floor.

You did load them like a van. VERY gently. Ive done curtainside over one winter, my first dedicated between GM Auto in Baltimore (No longer in existance) and central Kentucky with GMC Astro van glass in racks on the floor.

You drove those things very gently.

11. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    I was backed in a dock besides a curtain side one time. We were both loading paper rolls. Big rolls. Standing up they was about head height and more than half the width of the trailer so they had to be loaded staggered. We both pulled out loaded at the same time and he went on down the road.
    Gravity securement........

cke, Lonesome and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.