customcbradios.com any good?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by juanveldez, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2018
    Hi Mike, I'm new here but was reading this older post. I'm interested in contacting the radio tech you have talked about. I need some repairs and tunning. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    He died a couple years ago.

4. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2018
    #### that's not good. I've read several good reviews about Rays Electronics out of Arkansas. Maybe that's the way to go.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Ray has been in the biz for years. I trust him. I think a lot of people get work done by the other shop in W. Memphis and confuse it with Ray. I've also heard Ray has had others working for him that may have done some questionable things. I don't know if that is true or not. The tech I referred to didn't know Ray personally, but he saw enough of his work to advise me about him. And, I've heard enough of his radios to recommend him as well.

6. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2018

7. n9emz

n9emz Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Palm Bay, FL
    Randomly ran across this thread about Custom CB Radios and had to respond....

My first contact with the owner, Doug, was early 2000 when he operated Exit 41 CB Shop on I-70 in Cloverdale, IN. I purchased a Kenwood transceiver for $1,000.00, took it home, blew it up, took it back to him the following day and explained what I did. He replaced the driver and final transistors, then went completely through the rig while I waited.... NO CHARGE! Take a TS-940S/AT elsewhere and see what it costs. Better yet, find a CB shop who can or will do it while you wait.

I've done thousands of dollars of business with Doug since then. I followed him to Dub's CB Shop in Marshall, IL, to his home location in Terre Haute, IN, and now he's operating in Brazil, IN. In fact, if I have a piece of any kind of solid state radio equipment that requires service or repair, Doug gets it. I strayed from that policy once, no more. Because of Doug being backlogged, I sent my favorite CB radio to a highly-touted amp builder and repair facility in Houston, TX. After a 3 month wait it was returned to me with case screws missing and the microphone cord ripped apart. IT WAS SHIPPED BOTH WAYS IN A CUSTOM-FIT PELICAN CASE!

Addressing some issues herein:
    *A tech doesn't have to do one percent of Doug's business to encounter a disgruntled customer.
    *Operate from a porch? Enclosed area with more service equipment than 90% of average shops, later replaced with stand-alone building on the property.
    *Drop-shipping? Items Doug doesn't have to handle personally, why handle or cause delay?
    *And, my favorite! Charging four times the cost of a box stock Cobra 29....an exaggeration, of course.

But first, Doug is the kindest, most honest and fair, as well as the most generous and skilled tech I have ever personally known and associated with. He's also the most patient person when dealing with customer problems I've ever known. When most of you and I would tell someone to pound salt and take a hike, Doug still tries to work out a reasonable solution. I've seen him more than once take back damaged equipment and make a refund when the cause was clearly customer abuse. Now, about that Cobra 29....

Doug is not only highly-skilled, he's always been a radio innovator; always searching out ways to improve the technology. Doug built this Black Chrome 29 for me February, 2008; the first one he built before most other shops wanted to tackle the project. Qualifiers: I quit caring about skip/DX nearly 50 years ago. I'll answer a call....I get many when I run this thing late at night, but I don't hunt it.

This rig does exactly what I want and need it to do, has worked without even a slight hiccup since the day I got it, and been the most fun mobile I've ever owned for what it is. I won't describe it because most will know. You can tell what I think about it by the way I keep it stored.

When new: 29RFX NEW.JPG

Now:
    29rfx cased2.JPG

29rfx cased1.JPG

Apologies for the long post and 73 to all.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    slim6596 Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK, who is Doug?

How's Florida?

9. n9emz

n9emz Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Palm Bay, FL
    Land of perpetual Summer. Just another day in Paradise, like always
    Owner, customcbradios.com (subject of thread).

73!

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Glad to hear that, I knew you were from Florida but haven't seen your call pop up in a long time.

11. n9emz

n9emz Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Palm Bay, FL
    Hahahaha.... I'm spread wide and thin now, like the South Platte River. All the fun went out of truckin' when Ms. Maggie told me to quit dodging coops and I couldn't juggle comic books any more. I got married, got a honest steady job and retired. Wouldn't be back here now but saw my buddy Doug under fire.

Golden years, man. Keep my hand in, but not much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.