Cutoff swap

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by xsetra, Jun 18, 2021.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I have a 1999 Freightliner FLD vin: A26525
    I need to know if I can change the rear axles from 1995 Freightliner FLD vinn: 591143.
    I want to cut the frame behind the cabs on both trucks and weld the rear section from the 95 on to the 99.
    The 95 rail is 33.5" wide outside on both 10.25" tall. I think the rails are the same.

Wondering about ABS sensor lines and routing to the cab of the 99. Lights are pretty simple.

Potential project.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    the 95 will not have ABS, it started in 97

Bean Jr., Dave_in_AZ, xsetra and 2 others Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    ABS should be an easy swap. I put a rear axle out of a '99 Freightliner into a much older truck. Sensor brackets were just bolted in place and the tone rings for the sensors were just pressed onto the back of the hubs. All the air valves will probably need to be swapped over as well.

Dave_in_AZ and xsetra Thank this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The 95 does have Wabco ABS on the rear axle. I wonder if it will talk to the control in the cab of the 99.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The rear assembly from the 99 was burned. I can't use any of the electric or air parts.
    I think of using the 13 speed transmission and all the hardware from the 95 and replacing the 15 speed and all hardware on the 99.

Rideandrepair and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I wonder if both ABS systems are the same? It'd make life a lot easier.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm going to look at the 99 tomorrow. Can the wire (that goes from the frame mounted computer) be spliced to the wire that goes into the cab. Or do I have to buy a complete harness to use.
    Yes if they are the same, it becomes much easier to wire.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Those two ABS systems most surely will not work together.
    It is difficult to do frame work right at the back of the cab. Some trucks were bad to crack frames right in front of the 5th wheel mounting brackets. That must be a high stress area. Do that in the middle of a double wish bone cross member between the two. If it does not have one put one in it. A 3 foot inner rail sleeve on each side makes me fill comfy.
    All that said I saw several done by a man I never met for the same customer. He would buy trucks like a KW with a bad torsion bar suspension and a wreck with an air liner or Reyco. One rail could be an inch taller than the other. He could put anything together anywhere. Minimum cross members and some small supports between them. That is a very rare person that can do that.
    Ask about your builders insurance.

Dave_in_AZ, xsetra and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Good place to start is at the ecu under the bunk, behind the passengers seat. Look at the wiring harnesses and compare. The other place is the brake valve, ecu look at it and compare. While wires can be spliced, my Trailer was spliced by Penske. It’s a DOT violation. Not worth it. I replaced the harness on my 2000, from the brake valve/ ecu towards the cab. It’s in sections. I would not be surprised if both are the same. If different, The ecu and wiring can be swapped out. The wiring runs under an aluminum channel inside the cab, Under the carpet. up to the fuse panel. I’m not saying that would be easy, probably above my abilities. But Knowing how Freightliner rarely changes anything over the years. I’d say there’s a good chance everything is plug and play. Question is whether the ecu computer under the bunk, and brake valve/ecu are the same. I bet they are. I’d keep the extra ones also. Wabco website had serial numbers for all the parts.

xsetra Thanks this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    10E711D7-BB6C-442A-AA7B-8A175F1C4EDD.png I can’t get a link, but the website is “ abstroubleshooting.com” It has all the ecu info. I think they’re both “d” type, like mine. I forget exactly. The best part about Freightliners is it’s mounted inside of Cab. Easy access. Take cover off ecu, under bunk, get model #s. The website has all the info on ecu and wiring diagrams. Along with troubleshooting codes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.