Cutthroat

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by 86scotty, Apr 21, 2020.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Sometimes stuff just gets to me. Today I had one of those situations. Sorry in advance for the long rant.

Lousy week so far. Got a decent run Monday ($800 0n 325) after way too many phone calls and this put me in a known dead zone in northern VA so I suffered with another 300 mile for $450 backhaul which put me a couple hundred miles from the house. It was a same day drop at 5 this evening. $1250 gross in two days which isn't awful but and I'm already sick of looking at the boards and making calls and getting told .80 to .90 cpm.

So, not wanting to deadhead 200 home I'm looking for a short run and luck strikes, 200 mile run right to my town, 100 mile deadhead to get to it. I have had no deadhead at all yet this week so I decide to eat it.

Quicker than I can dial and get through it disappears. Not a surprise, especially lately. Dang.

I wait and look a few more minutes and about 10 minutes later it pops back on the board. The broker is Scott Logistics. Back in 2018 I ran some good loads for them and haven't since due to their lousy and cheap freight.

The lady says 400 firm. I go for 500. No personality whatsoever. "400 firm sir". Not even 425. I say OK, I'll take it. She then asks me the typical stuff and says my insurance needs updating. I say OK and I'm waiting on her to give me the info I need to update it (address to send it to or tell me she's emailing me what I need to do, etc.). She says "Please go to our website and follow the link to update your insurance". I say just give me the info and I'll call my agent, she's quick. "NO, you have to go through our site and do it". I say ok, I'll call you back in 5 minutes. "Sir, I cannot hold the load for you." What? Just give me 5 minutes, I'll be quick. "Sorry sir, I cannot hold the load while you figure out your insurance". I told her what to do with the load and hung up.

So, what was her advantage? The load didn't pick up until the next day (tomorrow) with an open pick window, not a morning appt. It's not hot, per se. There was absolutely no benefit to her doing that to me and we both know the load would be gone in 2 minutes, which it was of course.

I'm a big boy and I did find another load and life goes on. Here's the reason for this book. Why would she do this? I have a problem free past with this brokerage. Is this the kind of crap we're going to start seeing from bottom feeder brokerages? They can't possibly go lower on rates or we'll be paying them to run the loads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I can't believe you're surprised by this.
    The carriers have zero leverage right now,none.
    The brokers are feeling themselves,
    And their gonna take full advantage of this
    Opportunity.

She doesn't have to wait 5 minutes,
    She's got 30 drivers on hold trying to
    Get the same load.

autopaint, TallJoe, roshea and 4 others Thank this.
  4. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019

Wrong.

bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Since you agreed to $400, maybe she wants to try for $350 on the next call...

6. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I disagree. Lumping all brokers together is not true or helpful. I knew when I called I was dealing with one of the sleezy ones but I needed a load.

If I have a good history with them the load was as good as sold and I had gotten in line when I called and got through. Why would she do this? It's not like a big paycheck. What does a brokerage rep (no way an actual broker) make on a $400 load?

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    They ripped Me off, about 10 yrs ago. Long story, Load went warehouse, instead of Me waiting all weekend. They charged Me the fees. I called them back in 2018 for fun, booked s Load, then cancelled because of the $450 they still owed Me. The Lady was all apologetic and all but begged Me to take the load. Ha ha ha. I had often thought if it, and finally actually did do it, just for my own satisfaction. I still will never do business with them, I don’t care how much It pays.

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Maybe it was not her exclusive load.
    She had to book it with a truck before another broker did.

9. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That's actually a logical scenario that I hadn't thought of. Makes sense I guess. I have been thinking, though, what if I was a new carrier who needed 10 minutes to do their packet? Brokers give me time all the time to do this. Would she say "I can't wait on you to do your packet". Where's the job security in that?

x1Heavy, Dino soar and 650cat425 Thank this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Man, sorry that happened.

TallJoe and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    It was said earlier. How many drivers calling on that one load.
    Her job security depends on covering the load before someone else.
    No time to wait for a packet or insurance.

When there is less mice eating the same piece of cheese. There will be extra time to wait for the paperwork.

Until then there's gonna be a new normal

alds, Doealex, Dino soar and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.