CVSA wants FMCSA to limit personal conveyance

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Long FLD, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Boondock Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    It never ends...I'd like to follow around sometime someone who works at these bureaus. Just to see what they do all day, 40 hours a week.

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I stay out for three months at a time. Do you think I use PC alot? You betcha I do. I don't sit at the terminal on my 34's.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If people would read the guidance like it's written instead of reading what they want into it that's not there a time limit isn't needed.
    Problem is people are abusing it because they read what isn't there because they care more about money than safety.

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    On Facebook someone was talking about how he got to the receiver the night before his appointment. The manager told him he was leaving soon, and would take him then. He then proceeded to go home on PC.

Now the intentions of the guidance are fairly clear, but the language is specific, and gives one an out. Number 3 of the non- acceptable PC is leaving after delivering, but the end of the paragraph says "at the direction of the motor carrier". Might one argue "I went home at my own direction, against the carrier's wishes"?

7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Time and distance limits set by the FMCSA would eliminate DOT inspectors using their "discretion".:rolleyes:

I will never get over being put out of service for using too much PC. I asked the inspector how much I was allowed and he wouldn't answer. Just said "You use it too much, more than what other drivers use" and wasn't interested in any further clarification.

For the record, my company allows 3hrs per day and I have never even come close to that.

Dave_in_AZ, Coffey, TheLoadOut and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    What did you get a ticket for? False logs?

The FMCSA will “fix” this with hard limits. The ELD companies will update their product. Then they will realize that people who use PC operating under exemptions will just unplug their ELD while exempt. Then the government will say you shouldn’t unplug your ELD. Then the ELD companies will have to make a tab on the screen for when you’re exempt.

Nostalgic, Siinman, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I did say that essentially PC is a move that you would normally use your pov. You wouldn't in most cases leave the truck at a receiver, so you shouldn't be able to use PC in that case.

Dave_in_AZ and Boondock Thank this.
  10. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I found it. It's in the questions and answer guidance. Explicitly prohibited Screenshot_20220407-092044_Chrome.jpg

11. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I said right from the start of their e-log foolishness that truck drivers should get electronic monitoring right after after anyone who gets payed with taxpayers money got it.

Nostalgic, Oxbow, RockinChair and 5 others Thank this.
  12. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Idiots through the years have asked for the fmcsa to comment on PC, which most of us knew this would lead to confusion and eventually a hard regulation about it, so they asked for it and will get it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.