D.O.T when it comes to containers.

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by JJKid, Aug 31, 2014.

1. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Is it just me, or my carrier ....hell, Any truck, regardless of size, shape, color is a freaking magnet for the D.O.T when your hauling containers. Bah. Also, it gets better... when you got a ###### chassis and the D.O.T tries to pin it on you when getting inspected. Oh come on man, give me a break. I generally get D.O.T'd randomly (roadside inspection)... just randomly strolling down the highway and get pulled over just for the hell of it. Have never failed once in a D.O.T inspection and generally theyre level 3's inspections (paperwork) though.. I did ask an officer once, why'd you pull me over and give me a inspection?

His reply:

You're chassis and container looks beat-up. That's being straight up.

PRICELESS!!!

Anyone else ever dealt with this or experience this... smh

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    And the problem is?

Chassis and containers are notorious for being kept in ill repair.You have a whole field of drivers that get paid by the load that figure they'll sneak that bad chassis down the road.Then you're stuck with it next time.If you do a good pretrip and worry about safety before your time its not hard to get a chassis swap at most places.May take a bit but they can swap them.

DOT is out to protect the general public from just this.They don't care about you or your load.They know from experience that containers,Chassis,Trailers and trucks kept in bad repair are 9 out of 10 times going to net them a violation.As much as we all hate it they're just doing their job.Why is it an issue that they told you straight up that you got pulled in for a beat up container.Get use to it if you want to continue in the intermodal field as it's going to continue happening.

4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    They started cracking down on containers back in 2010 when csa came on line.

5. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Another reason container haulers are DOT targeted is the simple fact that DOT know the majority of containers are overweight, and by watching the way some of these container drivers drive, have inadequate maintenance(the power unit, chassis, and the container itself). A lot of times DOT just want to make sure that they have their Overweight permits and make sure that drivers have their paperwork the way it supposed to be

Flatbedder73 Thanks this.
  6. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    I have no problem hauling cans and the dot, been doing it for 5 years.

I even pull chassis that are from the 70s, ain't that hard to pull legal equipment driver.

Cody1984 Thanks this.
  7. Pool6710

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    If I pulled a legal weight load from the rail I wouldn't be over 76400lbs no matter what. People that pull heavy containers are morons, plain and simple. In my experience the trucks in the rail that look like junk surprisingly will pass a roadside

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    can't pass a roadside, when the rim is bent, tries are rotted or bald, brakes are out of adjustment. lights are missing or inoperative. lug nuts missing.

wished i had taken a picture. but i seen a truck in the los angeles area. sitting on the side. with his container sitting about 25% off to the side of the trailer.

9. Flatbedder73

Flatbedder73 Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Langhorne, PA
    and their wheels are wobble city, lol.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  10. Pool6710

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    Yeah the vibrations from them are amazing in the truck.

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I agree, JJ , RR cans have a loooong history of problems. It's money in the bank for the DOT. It's like you have a big billboard on the side of the container, " Hey copper, there's an excellent chance there's something wrong here". I don't mean to be rude, but I get a kick out of people going into intermodal, thinking, this is great, only to find out, it's one of the worst gigs on the planet.

SHO-TYME Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.