D.O.T when it comes to containers.

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by JJKid, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Yeah in Harrisburg PA DOT doesn't bother Semis pulling containers from what I've seen. That might be an issue specific to Chicago.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Certain scales are more prone to singling out containers for inspection. In Colo., Monument SB used to love containers for inspections, they stopped that about 10 yrs ago. Lately, it's been a hardon for HAZMAT. Years ago, DOT would setup a mile from the UP ramp and nail guys leaving. As the City began it's rejuvenation projects, they lost their inspection area, so they haven't done it for a long time.

The worst time though, was shortly after 9/11, Bush made comments about terrorists shipping nuclear weapons in containers. Seemed like every Podunk cop suddenly became DOT certified and demanded to do an inspection, and wanted to see the contents. Became a real hassle, W. Nebraska, W. Kansas, and Wyoming were the worst. Think I had 20 containers inspected in Nebraska or Wyoming.

4. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4218152] When they had Z-vans(do they still have those?) I used to bring a cordless drill, some rivets and some thin metal, and caulk, and climb up and fix them myself. .[/QUOTE]

For the most part, piggybacks were phased out about 15 yrs ago. UPS still has a few they of the old 48/102 or 48/96 that are exclusive to them. The only thing now with a "Z" designation, are the intermodal trailers owned by the mega's (Werner WNXZ, Swift SWFZ, Navajo NAVZ, USA USAZ, Melton MELZ (flat deck), KLLM).

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.