D12 fuel trouble

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by hard times, Jul 29, 2011.

1. hard times

hard times Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2011
    lafayette la.
    Here we go again, my 99 d12 is acting like it's running out of fuel. Runs good down the road but when I'm shifting it runs out of fuel. I have changed filters, lines from the tank and tee block. Is there a check valve or something else to look for? It dosen't do it all the time and if I pump the primer and bleed the line it will start after several trys. Just seems to do it when thr RPMs go up and down. It's got me stumped!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. midwestconnection

midwestconnection Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
    Your crossover feed lines that balance your fuel between tanks might be acting up. They can be finicky. Try topping off both fuel tanks.

4. hard times

Feb 13, 2011
    lafayette la.
    both tanks are full, thanks

5. midwestconnection

Jun 23, 2011
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
    It sounds like you might be airlocking. Did you fill that fuel filter you changed to the top even though you have the pump. That might fix it and it doesn't cost anything to try. If the old filter was bad but you didn't get fully bled by filling the new filter with fuel this could have created an air lock that the pump can't get past.

6. hard times

Feb 13, 2011
    lafayette la.
    Yes it's full, the truck may run 20 miles and when I stop and go again it starves for fuel and seems lose it's prime,

7. midwestconnection

Jun 23, 2011
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
    It's full from the hand pump or full from you filling it to the top before you put it on?

8. midwestconnection

Jun 23, 2011
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
    All of your new connections I would look at. -- You can just about bet that your getting air from one of them or none of this but something entirely different in the first place.

What was it doing from the first symptom on, at the very beginning before you did anything.

That hand pump itself could be leaking.

9. hard times

Feb 13, 2011
    lafayette la.
    it started whenI shut it off and would not start, filled filters and pumped, started and ran good. Got to where when I was shifting up with the rpms up and down it would run out of fuel, I could fill filters and prime and it would run. I thought it was sucking air so I changed lines. Still the same, but now won't run at all. Never had a pump do this but never owned a Volvo, could it be the pump?

10. midwestconnection

Jun 23, 2011
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
    I'm guessing that the pump is about a million dollars. I would keep doing everything you been doing over and over again hoping to get lucky and cure it or find the problem or it to just start working without knowing exactly what you did. A few hours a few times.

Then the computer readings. Or the computer readings first if you can afford it but the computer may not show a simple connection or air leak problem. That's why I would exhaust everything first. I'm not sure if you could try a direct fuel line put in your filler opening and to the filter as a bypass that might tell you something. I shudder to think what a fuel injector pump would cost. Especially if you don't need it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.