D12C accessory drive pulley

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by thisxstyle, Oct 21, 2017.

1. thisxstyle

thisxstyle Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a 2001 Volvo vnl with a d12C motor. I was about to load today when I heard a funny squeal noise coming from my engine so I opened the hood and saw that one of my pulleys was wobbling.

I did as much research as I could, and found out that it’s the accessory drive pulley, from what I can tell drives my fuel pump.

I can’t find a repair guide anywhere on this, but would like to attempt it myself, as I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined.

Does anyone have or know of a place that I can find out what is involved with this repair? I’d rather have some sort of guide or troubleshooting done versus just taking it apart and guessing as I go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&q=volvo+d12+accessory+drive+replacement&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCy4uonYTXAhVU92MKHQWuDXoQ1QIIsQEoAA&biw=360&bih=616#scso=uid_WeyPAAAAxi8KY-oByQoepA_1:40&xxri=1

On the second Google search listing, download the [pdf] Fuel System

It's from the Volvo Service Manual. It should give you all the information you need.

It looks to me from reading the Volvo service manual, if you have play in the pulley you will need to replace your fuel pump as the accessory drive and pump are all one complete assembly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  4. thisxstyle

Sep 2, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I appreciate your help. I saw this, unfortunately, my problem isn’t my fuel pump, it’s that pulley. I don’t know if there’s any special tools or a method to do this, or what I should be looking for, this was only part of the info I needed.

5. thisxstyle

Sep 2, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I’m sorry, I must’ve misread, if they’re all one unit I see what you’re saying. I was hoping I didn’t have to pull everything off of the front of the truck, lol.

6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I believe you can only purchase it as a complete assembly, but you may want to check with the Volvo Stealership if they sell the pulley separately or a rebuild kit.

But it being a Volvo engine, most likely they'll only sell you a remanufactured or new fuel pump assembly which has the accessory drive included.

7. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    this is the accessory drive that usually wobels i would suggest that you replace fuel pump as well and there is a tcb saying that you need to replace the psi check valve for fuel on top of the head when replacing thisfuel pump with new style. should set you back with everything around 1K in parts if i'm not mistaking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.