D13 injector volvo leaking

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Mdavid0614, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Mdavid0614

Mdavid0614 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2019
    anybody know where the fuel enters the d13 steel injector? One of mine leaks wont hold pressure is there a way i can check by myself? I can take it off but where would i start? Truck wont shut down sputters when ignition off running on one cylinder then dies few sec later 2008 d13 i know theres a small hole on injectors but not sure if fuel enters there or thru the entire ring opening above it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Fuel enters through the cup ... The injector is fed fuel from the middle of the cup area...

Is that what you're wondering?

Leaks can be found in several ways, commonly air is introduced into the return fuel .... They can also leak into the crankcase though diluting the engine oil.

Another spot they can leak is down into the combustion chamber causing hydrolock or a burnt piston... Broken ringland or even a bent connecting rod

4. Mdavid0614

Feb 13, 2019
    Would it enter right below the top oring was n the gap? I have what u call hydrolock but it hasnt burnt a piston yet...taking off injectors how would i find which injector is leaking into piston?

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Fuel is under the oring , it comes through the head there's a passage machined end to end and it feeds the cups. You will see.

You can see it on laptop balance rate if you had a computer the weak cylinder can be found

... or if you had the manifold off you could see the smoke on that cylinder.

With a laser temperature gun you might find a colder exhaust on that cylinder too.

When the injectors are out there leaking cup should be black with contamination also

6. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    This isnt to insult to you or the skill level you have. But unless you have the proper tools and experience this isnt an easy job for a first timer. This isnt about an O-ring failure.....the cup is allowing combustion into the injector. When 1 starts to do this the other aren't far from doing the same. Might as well do a 6-pack and be done with until they fail again and again

The tool required to R/R the cups is 2k to 3k just for the Volvo Tool. You will also need a brace to remove the entire rocker arm assembly. Then the whole issue of doing an overhead once it is put back together. Oh and you will need a Vcads to input the injector codes

KB3MMX, Mdavid0614 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  7. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Have a shop fix the truck. No way you hydro locked your engine. @Mdavid0614

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Mdavid0614

Feb 13, 2019
    Not hydrolocked but is leaking fuel into chamber...done injectors and cups more than once just trying to find the leaking fuel into chamber injector...all cups and injectors need to be done yes but want to find leaking injector more of a curiosity thing before i do all cups n injectors thnks

9. Oneel998

Oneel998 Bobtail Member

May 21, 2019
    only way to find a leaking injector is to remove all them and inspect the injector themselves. when you remove them, look at the round part of the injector when it sit in the cup. You SHOULD see an even smooth line all the way around the injector. Has the diameter a pencil stroke(if that makes sense). If you pull an injector out and it has uneven wear around the round part, that's your leaky injector. Difficult to explain without being able to show

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.