D13 pushing coolant out over flow

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gbrown, Oct 28, 2013.

1. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    Motor keeps pushing coolant out of overflow tank. I replaced the tank and it stopped for 3000 miles but started again. My mechanic say its either the air compressor of head gasket. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The only thing you can do is replace the rad cap. The seal on the cap may be grooved and worn out. Try replacing the cap. If the problem still happens, then yes, you have a head gasket or compressor issue that needs to be diagnosed.

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    usually blown compressor gasket.

5. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    Its going in the shop tomorrow and I'm hoping for the compressor cause the head is pricey.

6. bull hauler

bull hauler Medium Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Whats comin out doesnt smell like diesel does it? Happened to me and it was injector cups

7. GeorgeDee

GeorgeDee Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Winston Salem, NC
    you should throw a new radiator cap on it before you take it to the shop...they have springs in them that wear out overtime ...should be less than $20 to try that...if the cap is bad they are going to have to replace that first and check it again ...that is going to cost you $$$$$...if you rule out the radiator cap first then they go on to the next possibility...ie gaskets and stuff...

8. maxicruise

maxicruise Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Illinois
    Just had a D12 do this last week. We found that air was getting into the cooling system. After putting clear hoses on the air compressor coolant lines, we found air coming from the air compressor. Changed out compressor and everything fine now.

9. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    I already changed the tank and it came with a new cap so its not that. Its in the shop now so ill let u guys now as soon as I know.

10. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    it was the air compressor. thanks for all your help everyone.

11. Sebas

Sebas Bobtail Member

May 4, 2013
    I have the same problem. Replaced the overflow cup and solved the problem so far. Only 2 days ago. Today I parked at the Flying Jay, Mississauga, Ontario and found another 2 Volvo d13 running the coolant all over the floor. No more Volvo for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.