D16 help

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by atv_idiot, May 17, 2019.

1. atv_idiot

atv_idiot Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    So this past week bicycle fell off the back of a car and I had no place to go... I centered it and drove over it. Resulting in a finger size hole in my oil pan and a busted drain valve on my air tank.
    I'm looking for a little help as I am not sure I want to tackle this job myself. Is it possible to swap the oil pan without having to drop the axle? Any idea what this would run me at a dealer?
    Thanks in advance!

W

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'll go out on a limb here, but to do an inframe, you have to drop the pan. I've yet to hear of companies dropping the axle to do an inframe, but there is the Paccar MX13 that you have to pull the engine in order to replace the cam.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. atv_idiot

atv_idiot Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    The D16 is a special motor... and quite massive compared to most. I know that the head has to go into the cab via the dog house if it needs to be removed. Thus why I am curious if the axle is an issue to drop the pan or is it a simple job as draining oil and R&I.. and back on the road.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. sbreeden

sbreeden Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Have the person car insurance company pay for it.

6. atv_idiot

atv_idiot Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2016
    The owner of the bicycle never stopped and I couldnt get a plate#
    I'm waiting on my insurance company to make up their mind how they plan to handle it.

Dealer is telling me its a 4.5 hour job, so I am assuming I don't have to drop the axle. If that's the case, I may just bite the bullet and replace it myself. Save the hassle with the insurance....

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    If you used insurance you'll pay all that back in premium increase plus about 50% usually.....

Much wiser to just fix at your expense and move on.. 4.5hrs is a small repair

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.