Dan Rather blasts trucking, industry blasts back

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by rookietrucker, Oct 22, 2009.

1. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    It just isn't idiots in trucks!

big wheels and lonewolf4ad Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Yeah, I almost got headoned today by some idiot that turned out of a parking lot into my lane instead of the center turn lane and just drove straight at me. :biggrin_25510:

4. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Agreed!

BUT!!! Everyday I see so many completely unqualified morons driving trucks that I can sympathize with the point of view that comes across in the story.

As long as truck drivers drive around playing with laptops, watching movies, messaging on their qualcomm, texting, reading books and all of the other stuff I see them doing every day while they weave from lane to lane, oblivious to the problems they cause for other drivers we will be unable to refute the claims that people like Rather make against us!

Most of the culprits are the same steering wheel holders working for the "usual suspects" Swift, Knight, CR England, Marten, Stevens...and others of their ilk.

Once again...We bring it on ourselves!

5. twindriver

twindriver Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
    I agree there any many "Drivers" out here do not belong behind the wheel. Our industry is so full of people who have criminal bakgrounds, sex offenders and the list goes on with all the other knuckleheads who cannot keep their dam heads in the game instead they are talking on phones, laptops, Quallcomm ect..., TruckerDave1970 stated " there are bunch of uneducated, unwashed and uncouth truck drivers out here and he absolutely "Right" on all counts.

But there are some very educated people who have been doctors, lawyers, business people from all walks of life. It seems to me there has to be drivers out here who really care, but just maybe "Don't" and just mind there own business because they see no one wants to give a dam anymore.

We professional truck drivers need to form some sort of coalition, that will put a stop to these CDL Mills and other misfits schools that will put any warm body in a truck just to make the almighty Dollar$$$. This is what it all comes down to Drivers is $$$.

If we can somehow work together as a whole we can change the face of our industry forever, Sure there people who are uneducated come from humble backgrounds not schooled very well or not at all, but this should not make a difference in how we come together. The one's with the brain smarts and who know people where we can cut through all this BS we will have a fighting chance to make a difference.

It's ethier we put up or shut-up or as some would say get off the potty and do something otherwise we deserve what we get from truck driving schools and companies that treat people like dirt because they see as Bunch of no-good Hillbillies driving trucks!

Rocks Thanks this.
  6. nwcountry

nwcountry hot-flash

Sep 11, 2009
    Winchester Oregon
    I'm not the brightest bulb on the string but my gut tells me this thread is starting to sound familiar to me, heil hitler!! Ring any bells? Because someone doesn't dress as well as we may think they should, or doesn't have the "education" we think they should or go to the "proper" truck-driving school we think they should. I'm just sayin that maybe the trucking industry needs improvement, along with the rest of the world. But I would be careful in replacing the "powers that be" with something much worse.

kajidono Thanks this.
  7. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    I watched the complete video of Dan Rathers report. As much as I hate to admit it, this time Dan has hit the nail right on the head..I saw NO exaggeration in his report...what I find troubling is the fact if this WERE NOT true why did NOT ONE of the companies answer his request for interviews to dispute what was being reported...just like the responce given by CRST's own paper work...6 months expirence is enough to be come a trainer...BS....and again refering back to CRST's own paperwork... MOST EXPIRENCED drivers WONT RUN team....Cant imagine why...so they FORCE the rookies to do it so the truck never has to stop...CUDO's to the Ladytrucker and Dan Rather for bring out what most of us complain about.

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

While I haven't read the entire text of the thing.

I'm with Dan on this one.....

As a LEO, you may have interaction several times a day with drivers of all skill levels.

I deal with them, 24/7. In every possible situation. Parking lots, highways, customers, truck stops, company lot, company office....

I leave the house every week, wondering what clown is going to try and kill me this week?

This has become the new "Nascar" or bumper car sport. I'm averaging a near miss a day. Where in the past, it was once a month....maybe.

It is getting ###### dangerous and ridiculus out here now.

I'm about ready to hang it up. Once this new refinery opens up,I just might.

9. nwcountry

nwcountry hot-flash

Sep 11, 2009
    Winchester Oregon
    I'd be curious to know the stats on how many problems involve passenger cars. It isn't just one type of vehicle that is causing the roads to be a Roman Circus.

10. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Just to clarify what I was saying, I dont have that opinion of truck drivers! I know quite a few drivers that are very well educated, well spoken, and respectful people. It is the media and general public that has such a dim view of us and that is why, I believe, they dont want to hear anything we have to say! My remarks were meant to illustrate how poorly we are viewed, not to disparage or demean any drivers. (though there are a few that live up to that sterotype and dont care about how it damages the rest of us!)

11. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Link to the transcript is here.

Queen of the Road

Would love to have a link to the video to put on here. Transcript is lengthy and very hard to read. :biggrin_2552:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.