Dash Cams

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Upstatetrucker, Nov 17, 2021.

1. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Vampire and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I have three
    #1 rand mcnally over drive 8 pro
    Works fine be night sucks
    #2 uniden... night not bad-ish. Screen a little
    $3 cobra really good night vision and a fair size screen

Attached Files:

4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Garmin gps with the built in dash cam because I hate having #### all over my windows/dash, does my ifta too

Pamela1990 and Czar_Zero Thank this.
  5. Czar_Zero

Czar_Zero Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Orebegone.
    I also have the Garmin GPS with the built in cam. Kill two bird with one stone n' all that.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  6. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    i have had three i like this one. got off of amazon . Rove R2-4K Dash Cam Built in WiFi GPS Car Dashboard Camera Recorder with UHD 2160P, 2.4" LCD, 150° Wide Angle, WDR, Night Vision

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    What ever you do get a a 4k. I've had em all, and 4k is the best resolution. Type of internal battery is key for heat, and the proper sd cards are not cheap ,and most dont last at all. I'm about to order a new on , I like the Rove but the top one on this list is interesting also. Like to have the capture button and ability to transfer to my phone.
    The Best 4K Dash Cam: Our Top 8 Picks For 2020

RedForeman Thanks this.
  8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I've been running the 67w for a couple weeks now. The software isn't great, but I wouldn't say it sucks. The remote view is kind of neat, and the park mode does work - one of the main features I was looking for.

The weak spot with the Garmin is having it on good wifi, as the app depends on that to function. Unless there's regular (fixed) wifi where you are or park, then you're on mobile and those things are not designed to run full time, especially with the charger attached. Sooner or later, the hotspot will stop working, and then you have a regular record only camera without the extras.

To be honest, I've never seen really good packaged software with any camera. Cobra's was the best of the lot, but their cameras were junk. I never use the apps anyway. If you really want to review the video in detail, you really should remove the microSD card and view/edit those files on a computer and something better than vendor supplied video editing software.

I was surprised to find the better microSD cards are not as expensive and hard to come by as before. I got 32Gb Sandisk Max Endurance cards for a few dollars more than the regular ones, made for use in dashcam and surveillance systems. Although the price spread would be proportional if you're someone that wants to store days of video and need the great big capacity cards. I try to strike a balance between enough video to find a recent event, versus too much video that might store more of my bad driving for the victim's family to use in court.

Even before those types of extreme use microSD cards were available, the name brand always outlasted the generic ones like they sell at the counter at Micro Center. You might save a few dollars with the cheapies, but then you end up buying them 2-3X more often.

9. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    I've used a dashcam in every vehicle I've drivin for the past 15 years.

Currently using this on my truck. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CGK6B52
    It does the job but isn't great. Have to use their buggy program and a laptop to convert the videos to a normal format to be viewed/uploaded to places like youtube.

Have forward and reverse facing cameras on both side mirrors:
    j5x3cQy.jpg

Next spring I'm going to upgrade to 2 of these systems. One for my cab, one for my trailer. https://www.dashcam.co/collections/...ucts/black-box-dash-cam-3-8-cameras-4tb-drive

Figuring:
    Forward and rear on both side view mirrors.
    Forward out my windshield.
    Maybe one in each upper corner of my windshield angled out and a bit down.
    Forward and rear on both sides of the trailer in the middle.
    Rear facing on the back of the trailer. Mounted on the rear axle of the trailer tandem, or one on each corner of the dot bumber or the underside rear corners of the trailer.
    1 in the nose of the trailer pointing back.
    1 in the tail of the trailer pointing forward.

Basically I want 360 degree coverage of my truck and trailer and a view inside the trailer in case a forklift driver puts a hole in the roof/wall and tries to deny it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    merv85 and Elroythekid Thank this.
  10. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    There are truckdrivers without dash cams????

I got the Garmin dzl gps cam.

I hardly ever use the GPS but it's nice to get a bridge warning if you wonder off route.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.