1. Express12$

Express12$ Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    The four wheelers will jump in the front of you and blame you for accident..:)

tech10171968 and Hegemeister Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beemerbiker

beemerbiker Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Does this camera produce videos in which the license plate numbers legible?

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    @beemerbiker I run it on the second highest resolution and the license plates are legible if it is close... If you bump up the resolution to the highest setting they are even more legible, and at further distances. I chose the slightly less resolution for file size reasons... I figure if I need a lisence plate number its cause they brake checked me or something else that is very close in front of me. And as long as they are close I can still get the plate number...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    beemerbiker Thanks this.
  5. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Without going into details, this is exactly what happened to me.

6. beemerbiker

Jul 11, 2018
    Than
    @Cattleman84 , thanks so much! I am a courier who specializes in shorty work downtown Minneapolis. I have been sideswiped twice since late March. One was a hit and run. I will be buying four cameras soon. License plate legibility and cam reliability are my two biggest requirements. I don't trust Amazon reviews. Would rather ask the pros. Thanks again!

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There are several things to note regarding video frame grab legibility. Trucks are the worst because they are the furthest from the fixed axles and have much more movement at the camera, especially on rougher roads.

But there are several things you can do to achieve the sharpest frame grabs
    1. Always record in 1080 or higher resolution
    2. Keep the camera as low as possible to minimize movement from body sway, roll, and pitch
    3. Keep the camera mount as solid as possible. Loose suction and mount extensions will allow more vibration and movement
    4. Use a video player that will allow single frame stepping to find the sharpest frame. They record at 30 frames/second and probably you can find a sharper frame among 15 frames where movement was minimized.
    5. Save the jpg at the highest available quality and size, not to exceed 100%

beemerbiker Thanks this.
  8. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I've been kicking around the idea myself and I think I'll be pulling the trigger myself come payday. Just no reason not to at this point. Great replies as well.

9. beemerbiker

Jul 11, 2018
    STexan, thanks for your suggestions.

10. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    My Vantrue X1 was $90. The micro SD card is separate. I went to you tube to get examples of night videos after I was so disappointed with my G1w and Old Shark dashcams.

YouTube

YouTube

If you leave the truck with the A/C off you must remove it from the truck as it will not tolerate heat.

11. Sal001

Sal001 Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Michigan
    2021 still can't find a dash camera to properly work.
    All the camera that I have purchased in truck stops work only for couple of month then you gonna need another one.
    The one I bought 3 weeks ago is the last one and never spend any money on those junks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.