Dave's Tire Wear Thread

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Dave_in_AZ, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Japanese co. Don’t know where made somewhere in U S I believe

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I hope you got Continental I liked them more than Yoko Best wear ever had

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Only had them one season, but no problems.

Like as is discussed in "What is the costs", Love's you can get a complete set for half of what my Yoko's and Goodyear's cost.

And when the one steer I had starting wearing whacked, it still had a good 6 or 8 months left on it, no problem.

But I trashed both.

So there's almost a $1,000 I really didn't need to spend.

So many variables.

Love these "fixed cost in stone" guys.

If you were low on cash, a set of caps may last you two years, but how do you drive?

I'm a low 60's man.

Easier on everything.

The HAMMER DOWN to the back up guy, well...............

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Ive suspected all steers cup or get river wear after 100 -120 -130+ before wearing out completing it’s the weak point of steers. Even when all else is good.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I had a Driver say His Grandma drives a truck faster than I do!!! ( I wasn’t going fast enough for him in the pothole ridden TA lot) Told him I’ll be buying parts off your Truck at Junkyard in a couple yrs!!!

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    My 99 Classic Repo I bought in 2000 had Brand new Continentals and rims all around. I mentioned never heard of those must be Cheap tires . Told no premium tire line for General . Drives lasted 550 k longer than Yokos on WS

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Exactly.

The one guy that does a bunch of my stuff gives me incredible deals, just because he enjoys working on my truck.

He doesn't even want to work on guys trucks that thrash.

He works at a place I use to drive at.

They have this like 05 Century with 1.2 million on it I drove as a local truck, and shuttle work.

Some kid takes it to Flagstaff once. I said something is wrong with the tranny now, specifically 10th & 11th.

Now it's sitting in their yard with a blown tranny.

I'd actually buy that truck if I could get it cheap. Full sleeper, rebuilt 60, everything works. Uglier than hammered dog #### though lol.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve been doing Chinese on Drive very good wear. Remember Buddy of mine bought first set of Chinese kept complaining smelled like burning rubber!!! Sure enough for about 3 weeks lol. Got a set Chinese for trailer 8 $ 1600 from a guy had small shop O/O bought container load at time. He had 1 set 22 tall couldn’t get rid of and I needed them.Double Road brand. Inside layer came off couldn’t be patched wore out at diff rates. Kept filling last one about 2 X week. They lasted 2 yrs about 190 k . Glad to be done with them . Been buying good used steers in sets 100- 175 each got 8 good tires now. Been with Firestone 591 previously 590 steers for at least 10 yrs sold on them. Have heard complaints of squirrely Goodyear’s more than once. I had 2 wear real good on Trailer though

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d like to find an old 84-85 Freightliner day cab with the separate windshields and stretch it and put a big house on it w 2 150 gal WS long tanks on each side. If I could only afford such a hobby. Just a note my cousins in Phoenix. She’s visiting next week. Been wanting to visit her for years . Don’t Trust my old Truck too far west though. Potential financial disaster out of my element broken down surrounded by Rattlesnakes Scorpions and Buzzards come to mind Lol

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Nah. I'd point you in the right direction.

I know of such a truck you speak of. Running & registered.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.