Davis Express, Inc. - Starke, FL.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by truckntim80, Aug 25, 2006.

1. mardonius

mardonius Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    mardonius1@gmail.com
    Davis Express

Does anyone know if the 7 on and 7 off is for real it says on their website they offer that but I have been around long enough to know you have to ask Drivers about that and not recruiters to find out if it is actually the case ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Good question...sounded like great company when I first researched them.( I live in the SE)
    In general these tiny trucking companies are the best I've found.

I tried to get on with them a while back and they refused me.

Have not had an accident or mishap in 5 years!

They must Really be picky :biggrin_25523:

4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Must be something fairly new.

Never heard they had a 7/7.

5. bmegirr

bmegirr Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Ocala FL
    I ran the 7/7 fleet for 3 years..it was great...avg 2700/week (at least I did)...I had to quit tho, cant get health insurance on that fleet

6. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Holy Cow...:biggrin_2551:

i just talked to one of the recruiters on the phone at Davis down in Starke,Fla.

She put it right up front that 80% of their driving is at night!

They mainly run grocery warehouses in the Southeast.

That leaves me out,as I've found out you can't fool Mother Nature when it comes to sleep.

Really cool that the lady was so straight up and honest.

It was like a breath of fresh air in this weird industry.

Sleepy heads need not apply :biggrin_25518:

7. Ivory

Ivory Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Northeast of Atlanta
    "Davis Express, Starke, FL, pays detention of $10 an hour after 4 hours, so if you sit in a chicken plant for 10 hours (which is not uncommon) you have made a whopping $60!"

And yes, most of the driving is durning the night. There are no health benefits for your family, employee only, you cannot even purchase them through the company; but I bet that management has health benefits for their families! Publix Super Markets is there bread and butter.

8. old smokey

old smokey Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2013
    I am with Davis Express. Their safety record pertaining to Safstat is excellent since they were put on E-log by Dot 5 years ago. They have their share of accidents-most not driver fault. I have worked there 11+years...please be advised that not all drivers like the work schedule...individual
    choice...they are largely dependent on Publix....you have a choice of 7 on 7 off(no benefits, 5cents/mi less than full time), 7 on 2 off, 12 on 2 off.
    Many frequent changes in dispatch personnel and driver turnover is 95%...a lot of short haul...and elog restricts mileage unless dispatch really has their act together. But, out of 5 companies I have worked for they are the least aggravating.

9. mardonius

mardonius Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    mardonius1@gmail.com
    What is their policy if you after awile you want to change from one schedule to another?

Also what if a driver is on the 7 on 7 off and he does that most of the time , but what if every once every two or 3 months he may want stay out a week extra and do 2 do they allowed that ?

10. bmegirr

bmegirr Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Ocala FL
    No..I tried that and was denied..cuz u share a trk with another driver......also, u cant go to 7/7 until they get u a partner

11. old smokey

old smokey Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2013
    to mardonius: there has to be 6 mos. between flip/flop from part-time(7/7 ) to full-time, etc. subject to approval. An effort is made on 7/7
    to keep that schedule accurate as possible. Any other requests are subject to approval individual circumstances, etc. All-in-all the 7/7
    schedule is adhered to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.