Daycabs , motel discounts

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Jul 1, 2013.

1. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    No issues using CLC that I remember. It usually did save money, a couple times it was a wash by the time the $5 fee hit. But some of the hotel owners were a little less than fans of the program. They were directly taking the hit for the franchise setting the CLC rate.

You do have to know your route or be able to look at google maps satellite to know for sure they have truck parking. If the hotel is slow, they will tell you anything to get you to their location.

New HOS(read as fines) & making route specific hotels could become problematic with delays that happen on the road. So the day cab thing could be more of how far away from base do you plan on running it? A night or two out & back could work well, but much more than that would take some good planning to make it work. *I think*.

Jrdude5 and RickG Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I agree use Google Maps to check truck parking . A few consider "truck parking" at a fast food chain next door . Also check the reviews of the hotel at travel websites .

4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    AAA, AARP, and similar cards generally only get you about a 10% discount off the regular room rate (Monday-Thursday rate, that is). CLC cards will get you a nice, steep discount depending upon hotel chain. Motel 6 in 2006, for example, was charging $35.96/night for CLC on a 49.99-59.99/night room. Add in the various taxes, which we didn't charge CLC holders, and its easy to see why Corporate Lodging got to be as popular as they were.

As far as CLC's billing to cardholders, I'm clueless. I will say that it sometimes took CLC up to six months to pay the hotel, though. Which is why we were one of those hotels that accepted cash in place at the CLC rate. Made a lot of the carriers my drivers ran for much happier that way, as it was easier for them to keep track of expenses that way...plus we got paid for the room right up front. And we kept the regular business!:biggrin_25519:

5. tiger1996

tiger1996 Light Load Member

May 25, 2009
    athens,ga
    We use CLC with no problems. About 150 trucks using it daily.

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Including that good info many have veteran discounts 10-15% and then some have their frequent customer programs where you stay so many nights you get a night free. Places like Americas Best Inns have a Value club that gets you a 15% discount.

If you have time it's a good idea to get online and search the deals out on the hotel's website. Some places have daily deals where you can get 20% off. Make reservations 650 miles away you know your driver will get there. :)

KANSAS TRANSIT, Marlin46 and Jrdude5 Thank this.
  7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Thanks to all for the good comments received, as I said we have always had sleeper trucks, and because we do get to every nook and cranny in this country, it does add a twist to to this thing. If we were regional, or ran the same routes all the time, it would be a lot easier.

I still am not sure what we are going to do as we look to build new equipment, all I know is that we do need more usable deck space, I can only get that with a stinger-steer setup, and getting what I really need can only be done with a cabover or a daycab, and since I don't see anybody bringing a new (cali approved) COE to market, we may very well wind up with a daycab.

Thanks again,

Stan

Jrdude5 Thanks this.
  8. BubbaDog

BubbaDog Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Philadelphia,pa
    One more suggestion,
    If you are going to run the same areas, or, you would be using the same hotels I would suggest making a deal with the hotel manager directly.
    You can get a rate better than CLC after you include their up charges and transaction fees.

9. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Motels has gone up a lot I rarely see the $29.95/$39.95 or the $49.95/night any more with so called trucker specials. But it all depends on the area's you travel through even if you have travel discount card you just can't get a room near Disney for the price near a truck stop near a small town out in the Boonie's if you plan your trip to stay out of the big towns most likely is where you will get the better deals and cheap is not always good ( you don't wana wake up in a motel and find your truck is missing or broken in to.)

BubbaDog Thanks this.
  10. TAK12LLC

TAK12LLC Light Load Member

May 25, 2013
    Little Rock, AR
    Double Ditto ..... Trashed my cards after the first time. If there is a Motel 6 nearby, they always beat an rate that CLC offered. At least at Motel 6 you pretty much know what you are getting. Major diff between many Days Inn or other so called brands. One can be great nd next is a crack hotel.

11. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Corporate Lodging is owned by C H Robinson. Tried it out, but the best benefit I got was a good rate for having the card, but not using the system, they gave me a driver rate and didn't get charged the fees. I try to stay at Motel 6 when I can, but have had some very tight parking lots. Now I pay a little more and stay where I can park. The AARP card get 20% off at Denny's afternoon and evening, and free coffee the rrst of the time.

TAK12LLC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.