Daylight Override

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Drivin_Dave, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Drivin_Dave

Drivin_Dave Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Kentucky
    I drive a company owned 2005 8600 2-axle and would like to know is there a was to disable the Day-Headlights which turn on and remain on when you charge the brake system?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    There should be a relay specifically for that on your fuse/relay panel. Just pull it out and set it aside incase you need a spare relay one day.

Drivin_Dave Thanks this.
  4. Drivin_Dave

Drivin_Dave Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thank you josh.c
    I had not thought of exploring the fuse panel. I had a GMC pick-up in which you could disable the daylights by pressing the dome lamp button 5 times, thought maybe a simular possiblity with this tractor. Yankin' out a fuse will do fine for me.

5. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    There's probably not a fuse specifically for the DRLs, but there is a relay.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'm curious as to why you want to do this.

7. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    I guess he doesn't beleive that being seen makes it safer for others????

8. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    It's hard to look "cool in your stool" driving a company cob with the headlights on!

9. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Maybe the guy just wants to use his own common sense on when to turn his lights on. Maybe he'd like to be able to blink his headlights. I personally think that DRLs should only be legal if they turn on all of the vehicle's lights-way too many people forget to turn on the lights when it gets dark because they can still see the road in front of them with the DRLs.

I've been hit by cars twice since I've been driving, once during the day, and once before dawn. Had my lights on both times, and neither one of them saw me.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Josh, you can still "blink your headlights" if you feel the absolute need. But don't you think that doing everything you can to help you to be seen makes more sense? Even though you have been hit twice while your headlamps are on, you will never know what kind of accidents were AVOIDED because of them.

I will agree that all the lights should be on, not just the headlamps, and for the reason you stated.

11. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    The thing about the DRLs on an International is that you can't blink them off, I think some other manufacturers have them set to where they can be interrupted quickly. Another issue (although admittedly a piddly one) is there are a few scalehouses that have signs asking you to dim your headlights. I'm sure they'd understand, but I'd rather keep a low profile and not be the one singled out. These are some of the reasons I pulled mine. I absolutely agree with doing everything you can to be seen, I usually turn mine on anytime I'm on a road with at-grade intersections or in any kind of reduced visibility, or even when the sun's really bright, like before dusk. I just prefer to have control over whether they're on or off.

Drivin_Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.