DB4 Dash Cam Questions

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by nascarchuck, Jul 23, 2014.

1. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Looking for a dash cam and thinking that the DB4 is the one for me but I have 2 questions.

1) does it need constant power? In other words is it ok to use the power source for the cb that only provides power when the key is in the on position?

2) I know that some dashcams have the capability of pressing a button and the previous 3 minutes and following 2 minutes are saved. Does the DB4 have this feature?

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    1) It does not need constant power. But obviously, if you remove power then it is not recording. If you connect it to a "switched" power source as in your example of the CB, then it will turn on and record automatically when the key is on and it will turn off automatically when the key is off. This is the way that most drivers run it. But there are definitely some who plug into into a lighter socket that is "always on" so that it is recording when they are away from the truck also (like in a truck stop, or recording people working on it in the shop, etc.)

2) It does not have the "incident button" that you speak about here. That is either an actual button, or sometimes a "shock" sensor that saves x number of minutes to a special folder that never get erased until you physically force it to erase. With anywhere from 11 - 24 hours recording (depending on size setting and type of card) before it over-writes, this has not been a largely requested feature so far. But I know what you are talking about.

- Don from DieselBoss

4. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Thank you Don! At the moment I'm not concerned about recording while away from the truck. The incident button is s feature that I would be interested in though. Hopefully I will be ordering a DB4 within the next couple of weeks. Thanks again for your speedy reply.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I use it in my car all the time. It can be set for constant recording or motion. If I run motion I sometimes have to point it at a slight angle to the driver to pick up the motion. It records in 2 min increments, but I also noticed the sound is lost about 15 seconds shy of the 2 minutes. If constant it picks up everything. I do urge the 32gb sd card.

The daytime and night times modes both record well.

Overall I am very pleased with it.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  6. X-Country

X-Country Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.