DC 9770 Centralia, WA

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by jande016, Mar 6, 2024.

1. jande016

jande016 Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Has anyone been to Walmart DC #9770 in Centralia, WA. When I look at it on Google Maps (3010 Foron Rd., Centralia, WA.) it just shows a paved lot with numerous Walmart trucks/trailers and some personal vehicles. There are also a couple of small temporary type office structures but there is nothing that even remotely resembles a DC. What kind of DC doesn't have a bldg?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The kind that just serves as a drop yard and switch point?

4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    It’s just a satellite yard. Running out of there you’ll do lots of Grandview to RedBluff, or Hermiston to Red Bluff. Basically run western 11 ish and mostly DC to DC. Back every 5 days for your days off.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  5. Pickleball

Pickleball Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I was based out of Grandview back in 2020, the beginning of Covid, and things change but that's not what I did.

First we parked at Spanaway near Tacoma and then eventually we parked down at Centralia. But as to the work I did, it was all in WA, OR and ID. I never went to California and 70% of my loads were out of Grandview and often Reefer loads going to the Seattle area. Very few dry van general merchandise loads, which pay better because they take less time.

6. jande016

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Rugerfan you are correct. When I was doing my phone interview with Walmart today I asked about Centralia and she said it was a "sister yard" to Grandview. It's just a drop lot for the drivers working out of Centralia to park their tractors, a few trailers, drivers personal vehicles and 2 small office blgs. Thanks for your replies.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  7. jande016

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    I've heard some say
    the grocery loads pay more because you get more activity pay. What are your thoughts on this?

8. Pickleball

Pickleball Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Again, my experience was from 2020. I don't know the current pay scale. However, most of the reefer loads and the dry grocery loads are multiple stop loads(usually 3 stops) and the reefer loads get mixed with the chill vs. frozen via bulkheads. You are required to get in the trailer and pull stickers from the pallets to match up to the BOL's and you need to work the bulkheads and then ask the forklift driver or pallet jacker to move some frozen pallets to access their chill, etc.

It's all about the volume to make money their and the longer each load takes, especially in Seattle area traffic, the less miles and fewer loads you can run. When I was there the unload pay was like $14 and the hourly while unloading was like $14 and change but the hourly only kicked in after 45 minutes. Hypothetically, you could do a 3 stopper and each stop could take 44 minutes per...whereas, a general merchandise is always a drop and hook and can be done in 15 minutes if it's ready to be pulled when you arrive. You want to preserve time to be eligible for another dispatch.

Many of the senior drivers told me to not chase the money and it's a culture and a lifestyle...I chased the money, that's why I was there! The biggest week I had was 2700 miles and a gross paycheck of just over $1650. And that included the $42 per night sleeper pay.

YMMV and I'm sure the pay scale is higher and better but that was my experience.

9. jande016

Sep 13, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Thanks for sharing.

Pickleball Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.