DD-15 ('15 Freightliner) - Starter Issue

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by STexan, Dec 26, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What might cause a starter to whir (spin) but not engage the flywheel? Or at least that's what it sounds like is going on on key start activation.

Starter was replaced with new thinking (assuming) bad starter, but same thing (some very expensive troubleshooting at emergency after hours). Voltage is good. APU starts great even when cold. No excess voltage draws or drains that can be sensed or detected. All electronics and lights work normally.

No "problems" heard or detected prior to this event. Recent starts all went over as normal.

Stuck in Pasco, WA waiting on Freightliner dealer to open Tuesday. At this point, I can only think maybe the cable from the batteries to the starter is somehow damaged or broken and not delivering enough amperage to the starter? Truck has been downhill-roll and/or pull started three times trying to get to first shop who replaced the starter. Engine was "turned" following new starter install to rule out bad sprocket area on flywheel.

Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    you said starter was replaced. who did the replacement? the freightliner dealer?
    is it Remy Delco 8200434 or 8300084? just go under the truck and you can see these numbers on starter. If you have other number(old versions) the starter must be replaced. in 2015 within a year I had 2 bad starters. One of them just worked a week and magnet solenoid failed.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Intothesunset, Oldironfan and KB3MMX Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No the local Freightliner dealer was closed for holiday (Saturday). A Cat dealer who does a lot of service work on all makes had the OEM starter and did the work. My shop weekend people gave me their number as an alternate.

If Freightliner was open as they normally are, they would have been the goto people, and maybe they could have troubleshooted more accurately. But who knows.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    easy way to know the starter is working or not. Put neutral, and disconnect the wire that goes on top of solenoid. get from another source(battery is preferable) 12v + and connect it to that terminal. the starter must engage and turn the engine.

KB3MMX and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Okay but what does it mean when the starter spins [when it gets the 12 volt signal] but doesn't engage?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    it means you have 12v on starter motor and it turns, but no voltage on magnet solenoid(engager)..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    do you have a hammer in you truck ? hit 2-3 times by hammer on starter metallic body. be careful not to hit on rear plastic side.. sometime works..

KB3MMX, Rideandrepair and iRookie Thank this.
  9. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I am with mhyn. This starter is not a popular part #. It is only used on these or Benz engines. It looks similar to the standard 39MT starter that is used on Cat, Cummins, Series 60 engines but it is not the same. I am betting that you have the wrong one in your truck after reading your story.

Intothesunset and mhyn Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    How could the new replacement starter have the same problem as the original starter from the factory that worked fine until recently?

The hammer tap thing was the first thing tried with the original problem starter.
    I can sort of buy that and was wondering that originally, but the mechanic nor I saw anything to indicate a missing or broken jumper wire. The replacement starter has the jumper wire pre-installed, same as the original.

We noticed the starter has a 2 pin plug presumably from the key switch system. Not sure if this is a hot-ground setup or a hot-hot set up meaning it may need to get simultaneous power on both pins to engage correctly? And maybe one of the signal wires is not getting power for whatever reason?

11. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    That plug is for over-crank protection, it is a thermal switch. The key switch system is the small signal wire on the top of the solenoid.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.