DD 15 with Dt 12 auto wont pull in 12th.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by zenaddler, Nov 11, 2017.

1. zenaddler

zenaddler Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I am driving a brand new Freightliner cascadia with a dd15 and dt 12. When I put it in CC at 70 it slows down to 68 or somewhere around that. It slows down to 65 or so going up an overpass and then speeds up to 70 only to kick in e coast and slow back down 68. Hills are a nightmare. It will slow down to 55 before it will downshift. It runs pretty good if I put it on manual and run it in 11th at 65. It pulls the hills fine. I am old or at least my right leg is and i need cc to drive.

It has been back to freightliner and they did nothing useful. It is supplied and maintained by Penske as a private fleet truck. My boss wants me to go 70. We do an out load deliver and then pick up and come back. We dont have extra time our window is 7 to 5.
    How is the truck supposed to run. I read in the manual that the throttle is not going to be open when in cruise. . Is there some place I can find a description of what Detroit says it will do on the highway. it doesnt pull very well with an empty flatbed in cc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    It sounds like it is governed at 68 on the cruise?

You can overrride the e coast by pushing the throttle and it should kick right back into gear.

Downshifting at 55 sounds about right, mine is the same. But even in auto mode you can make it downshift by pushing the paddle down.

zenaddler Thanks this.
  4. zenaddler

Nov 7, 2013
    The cruise and the truck are both set at 70. It cannot pull 70 on cruise and slows down to 68. It will slow down more with slight grade or some wind. If I set it at 65 it will run a steady speed. in 11th it will also pull the hill and only fall to 60 or so. The same hill when set at 70 it will fall to 55. It is set up so you have press on the accelerator going down the hill and you have to press on accelerator to start up the hill. Then you have to downshift manually to get up the hill. It is so inefficient that driving in 11th makes better time. I dont want an auto that requires my constant attention. I am not driving on mountains. these are small hills. Most would consider it flat land. The truck is great around cities and country roads.. I drive on a stretch a lot that is 32 miles of stop lights and this truck is great to do it without stress and roll many lights. It just gets useless once it goes into 12th. If it were set for fuel milage it would not try to pull hills in overdrive. It is using a lot of torque with little result.

5. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    There is a setting in the dash settings that turns of the e coast . But you have to turn it off every time you start the truck

zenaddler Thanks this.
  6. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    So it sounds like this truck has IPM/IPPC and you most likely have a Next gen Cascadia. Basically it's called Intelligent Powertrain Management.

What this feature does, inluduing eCoast, is that it uses the mapped terrain and GPS location to help scale hills. It's a fuel saver technique and similar to PCC. You have overrun and UNDERrun parameters. It may require a little bit of programming if you cannot adjust these yourselves on the ICUC.

zenaddler Thanks this.
  7. zenaddler

Nov 7, 2013
    Mine does the opposite. it powers down the top of the hill only to e coast till you start up the next. Thank you I used your post to find a description of how it is supposed to work. I will ask the techs about it.

8. zenaddler

Nov 7, 2013
    I have been through the menus and cant find such a setting.

9. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    Click on the Truck picture, scroll down to “ transmission “ press ok. There you will see creep mode and ecoast, turn them on or off.

They are both on by default so every time you start the truck they are on

10. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    Your ICUC needs to have the parameters enabled!

zenaddler Thanks this.
  11. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    @zenaddler
    You need to see a picture like this:

upload_2017-11-15_8-32-11.png

zenaddler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.