DD-15

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Palazon, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Ok, no matter what I do, I can't get the new D15 above 6.5 mpg (unless empty). Anyone else having this problem?

I upshift at 1300 rpm, and downshift at 1000. I use the cruise over 65%, and am in top gear 80%+. My weights are netting out to 75-79k (reefers) and I've moved my 5th wheel as close as steer weights will allow. I do run alot of mountains and hills (like most of us GTI's). This is a new Cascadia with 90k miles.

Anyone got any tips on this? I'm trying to get to 7.25 mpg to get the higher speed limits.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    I work for a different company but mine won't do more than 6.7 with an average of 6.5. At any weight, any conditions, any road, any driving style. I've experimented with every combination I can between pedal vs cruise, shift points, weight distributions, the numbers don't change and don't get any better. Governed at 63 and even tried lower speeds as excutiaiting as it was. The numbers just don't change. I got it with 40 miles on it and just broke 50k

I could get a wide range out of the Volvo I used to be in before they took it from me and gave me that POS cascadia. I could see 7.1-7.3 consistently in the Volvo. The cascadia never will see that number.

Was kinda hoping once it was broken in good the numbers might get a little better but since yours has almost twice the miles mine does it shot that theory all to hell

Palazon Thanks this.
  4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Running a lot of heavy loads in the mountains will pretty much make it impossible for you to average 7.25 -- especially if you want to do so & cruise the flats at 65+

Palazon Thanks this.
  5. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Get the same with my 2010 Cascadia. Just shy of 290k on it and it has never seen over 6.5 even empty. Tried moving slower and it just makes it worse or stays the same. Not sure what's up other than I question the accuracy of the gauge. When filling up and doing the math I have seen it swing from 5.4 to 6.9. Probably just the way they are tuned but I will admit they do love the high rpm. Mine just bogs at anything less than 1100. So if the fuel economy is crappy anyways might as well put it to use right?

Palazon Thanks this.
  6. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm sorry, my bad. Standard speed is 60-61 mph.

7. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    65 here with the same results. Chalk it up to a hungry engine I guess.

Palazon Thanks this.
  8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Isn't the enhanced speed 64 or 65? Either way, its the hills & weight that are killing you. I mean you could realistically shoot for 6.8 maybe even 7.0 by running without cruise, bleeding speed on shorter inclines, maintaining slow speeds until the decline to let gravity re-accelerate you etc etc -- but you're not going to get 7.25 so in my mind why waste your 70 hour clock & wind up with lower miles unless youre going to be compensated for the effort.

The dd15 is a good engine, its just the cascadia is heavy, & almost all of them have massive gaps between sleeper & trailer.

Palazon Thanks this.
  9. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    25(2)+2 and Palazon Thank this.
  10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They just adjusted the overhead on the one I drive, and I do more localized with lots of 2 lane and arterials in Chicago and other places, and I'm seeing around 6 with significant idling.
    Will have to see if it improves, it's a 2013 with Michelin tires, dual drives, and no fairings other than behind the sleeper, nothing on the trailers, either. I set the 5th wheel about right for a loaded trailer, tried playing with that and it would help a little but not much. These are smaller, midroof extratall, with the roof mounted extension. We run from heavy to MT, that doesn't seem to matter that much unless it is hilly.

Adjusting the heads seems to have helped, I turned over 75k last week, and I run anywhere from 65 to 71, the one I have likes to run lower RPMs but I think it isn't really geared with 3.42 rears, I drove another and that 1 ran at noticeably lower RPMs at the same speeds. The Series 60 I had preceding this was also noticeably lower RPMS at any given speed, checked by GPS. Same trans, tires and ratio listed. I hit high gear at around 1075 and 50 MPH, 9th at 35, I really like the way the engine responds and the whole truck works.

No computer readout in these just get MPG the old fashioned way. I know idling is rough on them but we have no incentives in place at all, that isn't really part of operations here, and probably won't be addressed until someone starts comparing numbers. I do better than most I have talked to. I have heard they get better after 100K as well, but that can vary, as can how tight a new one is. The one I have runs better than it did when new, but I could get over 6 with it then, too, as long as I kept RPMs low and never went above 1500 uphill

I have heard that some fleets are getting them with the ISX installed, supposedly for better mileage. They stopped putting the DD markings on the new trucks at dealers, the only way to tell from the outside now is by looking for the Cummins on the clean idle sticker, no sticker, and you have to look for the red paint on the pan.

Palazon Thanks this.
  11. Palazon

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.