DD15 broken fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by mhyn, Feb 7, 2016.

1. concdriver

concdriver Bobtail Member

May 19, 2012
    cambridge,on
    I had found metal shavings in Davco filter 2 years ago. I removed the shavings and replaced the filter. Last month they replaced the injectors and PLV and 1 box because of emission related issues.Truck runs fine and has no codes. Do you think my fuel pump needs to be replaced.
    Truck runs fine in summer. In winter I have to add HOWES or it wont run. Plz advise. Thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Shavings may have been just from when tanks were new, or if someone added something where they drilled into the tanks.
    Not running in winter is odd. I had a 1998 Series 60 that did something like that. Turned out the seals were shot in the fuel pump and allowing oil to get in the fuel system, so it needed the fuel treatment to run right.

4. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Just add 2 cycle oil - $14.00 at walmart per gallon, add 1 gallon per 128 gallon of diesel. Engine will run very smooth, as never before....

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    that may cause DOC face plugging. I would try it on s60 . did you try it on dd15 epa10 is ?

6. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    I clean the injectors with this on my s60. The military put 2 cycle oil on their diesel equipment. The formula is half to one oz per gallon of diesel. I don't think you will plug the DPF. This is a TCW3 oil, ash less . It is used on all 2 cycle marine motors. No I never tried on dd15 EPA 10.

7. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    My truck had the same issue, along with three other company trucks here. The mechanic at Freightliner said he has seen the issue with several of the same model year trucks. He claims it's a Detroit issue, and they know about it, but are ignoring it.

8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    it's not a Detroit issue. the manufacturer is Bosch and it's not Bosch issue too. otherwise we would see Detroit pointing Bosch for quality problems.

9. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    The mechanic said once they replace the OEM fuel pump with an aftermarket pump they have no more issues, but you really sound like you know your stuff so I take your word for it. Note the sarcasm

10. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Three months ago switched from Stanadyne Lubrication to Opti-Lube XL Extreme Lubricant. Used it continuously 3 months. Fantastic product. Engine is working like Swiss watch. Will continue using it. Attached my engines ISB test screenshot. Engine has 748k m now. It has original injectors and original high pressure pump. I buy fuel only at TA and Petro usually.

Attached Files:

punksmacker, uncleal13 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Cannot open file.

Buying fuel at the major chains only is a good thing. I've noticed The J, Peelot, and Love's are using more strait up #2ULSD. As where TA / Petro are using a lot more bio. And mine definitely runs better on the pure fossil.

mhyn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.