Dd15 desission help?

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by logans, Jan 1, 2018.

1. logans

logans Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Cookeville tn
    I am on the hunt for my first truck and came upon a 2016 WS 5700xe with dd15 and DT12 trans with 496000 on her. It does not have any apu or bunk heater so I would have to idle till I could get one installed. I would like to hear from someone with a high mileage dd15. I nervous this might drain what little savings I have quick. I’m also looking at t680 with Paccar motors (same mileage) but they have apu’s on them so idle has been kept to a minimum. Tough decisions

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Well, to help you with your DECISION on whether to buy one, some people have had good luck with them, some have not. Our entire fleet uses the DD15 with either that tranny or the Eaton 10. We get the newer trucks in the shop for every reason imaginable except the tranny or engines usually.

I think its a good motor and tranny but with 500k thats when Ozark trades them in.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Probably the DD15 is better beat since more places can work on them Detroit has their own shops. 496,000 it will need repairs soon, that probably why they selling it. DPF will need to cleaned that like $1,000 I think. The big one would be the clutch on D12 transmission. I would think it due to be replaced and I bet that very expensive. I think Volvo i-shift it's like $4,000. So it probably around that price. The truck was probably make in early 15 but called 2016. To have that many miles on it already

magoo68 Thanks this.
  5. logans

logans Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Cookeville tn
    I hear ya. I’m with Maverick and we trade them off at 400k same engine and trans. I know a few lease guys had to have rebuilds around 550 650k. I’m not finding any better deals out there. Got a couple of t680 I’m looking at also but they have apu and are cheaper

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I had a 2011 DD15 with 500,000 I got used it was a disaster it had warranty on engine to 600,000 Detroit and Freightliner did so much warranty work it was crazy. That was a 2011 truck. I'm driving a company truck now 2017 with DD13 and DT12 transmission no big problems yet but it only at 156,000.

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I've been sitting 5 days with my t680 paccar mx13 .. the few shops that had time could only work on the cummin version .. scr derate to 5 mph .. I love the truck but getting service that requires hooking up to ecm is a waiting list everywhere it seems

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. logans

logans Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Cookeville tn
    What year and how many miles is on it? I talked to a tech in Knoxville MHC today and he said if you keep up with the 200k dpf maintenance they recommend you should not have those issues. He said all the issues he sees is from poor maintenance on the owners part.

9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Update. A simple open wire that took a hr to diagnose and fix at a Pete dealership that could read engine ecm .. unless paccar starts giving outside shops the ability to read ecm I suspect it will be the last paccar truck for me .. a t680 with the x15 isn't out of the question though since the truck itself is great

logans Thanks this.
  10. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    With that mileage on a 2 year old truck I would have no fear, you can't pile up those miles in that time frame if you're sitting in the shop with emissions issues or having the drive train beaten out of it by a throttle jockey.

I always buy 2 year old trucks and I always look for the high mileage ones, I have never seen someone buy a modern emission motor with unusually low mileage for the year model who was not sorry they did.

If you research all the major engine brands you will find that it is nearly impossible to find a consensus on which is more reliable regarding the emissions system, people swear by and condemn them all equally; it really is a hit and miss proposition so looking at the odometer is one very reliable way to determine if the truck you're buying is one which regens and sprays DEF like it is designed to or whether it keeps going to the shop where clueless dealers scratch their head and switch parts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.