DD15 , fuel/air problem , not constant / need help

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Emil Baran, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Emil Baran

Emil Baran Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Not to jinx anything but main problem with DDs is tge amount of sensors. Engine by itself is very good and will last easily over 1mil with propee maintence. I did over 107k with truck being down only 7days due to fault DEF harness.

Ive had 4x60series and I also had problems with them but with any ebgine it is expected

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emil Baran

Mar 9, 2016
    Cleveland,Ohio
    I know where the EGR actuator is , and i can move the flap easily so its not blocked. What I meant was , how do I spot surge in the coolant ?

Per video , i did that 2 werkends ago but I didnt use the rod to make sure holes are compketely free of debris. After about 100miles truck ran fine for 4 days until I started getting the codes again.

....btw when codes and 2 lights present it eats DEF like crazy

4. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Ya...no.

Are you regenning more often? What about OTR regenning?

What's your NOx conversion like? Could possibly have tired/old NOx sensors--it's common.

Seems like you really need Diagnostic Link 8 so you can actually monitor these signals and verify your complaint.

5. 10-4Peterbilt

10-4Peterbilt Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2017
    You are correct every engine is gonna have its unique set of problems its just the Series 60 is a proven power plant and will have less problems or less room for failure if you will. For me if there is technology to do away with the bs new emission engines I am gonna take it. I have heard way to many horror stories and seen close friends go bankrupt because of them. That's exactly what I did with my 09' Pete pulled out the junk ISX and went back in the a 6NZ best choice I ever made. I contacted a company out of Oregon Kustom Truck for all the harnessing and electrical. Just an option thats out there. For some it makes good sense for others it doesn't.

6. 10-4Peterbilt

10-4Peterbilt Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Why would you say no? Its just another option that's out there and a darn good one. Engine will pay for itself within the first 2 years off of Fuel mileage gain ALONE. I am in this business to make money period and the DD15 isn't gonna be my first choice for a reliable engine to do that especially the day in age we live in with many more viable options.

7. Emil Baran

Mar 9, 2016
    Cleveland,Ohio
    I usuallt have to do parked regen once a week as far as OTR i dont know , my cascadia has the small older display.

New code showed up

spn 2659 fmi 0

8. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    2659/0--EGR Flow Target Error Diagnostic - High Flow

Do you have any other fault codes? I still think your EGR hot pipe is dirty. You could also have issues with your CAC being clogged as well causing it to not cool as well and causing extra high intake temps.

Part of troubleshooting this fault is to replace the EGR cooler. This could also coincide with using too much DEF because your EGR system isn't functioning properly keeping NOx in check.

As far as the excessive regens, I think I remember asking you when your DPF got last serviced..maybe not. Excessive ASH accumulation will cause issues with NOx due to temps.

9. Emil Baran

Mar 9, 2016
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Only this code plus 3 for spn 411. I took venturi pipe off today and cleaned it and looked thru the pipe that goes into a egr cooler but lookes fine . Here is a pic. im gonna try to hook up to software friday

Attached Files:

10. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    Depending on which FMI it is for the SPN 411, it would still suggest a bad delta P sensor/circuit issue.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  11. Emil Baran

Mar 9, 2016
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Update: as of 730pm
    I took venturi pipe off cleaned it with choke and carb , used coat hanger to stick in the 2 holes. Also sprayed it in to onside of two other pipes. Checked air flow sensor and cleaned it. Took the coolan line off that runs to top of EGR cooler and only clean coolant was coming out from EGR. Put everything back together and instead of reusing same DELTA P I used the one that I originally thpught was bad in a first place few months ago. 330miles on and no codes have came back , MIL light on untill 4 restarts. Normal DEF consumption too.

Hoping for the best.:/

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.