DD15 Low oil pressure

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dztruck, Aug 16, 2017.

1. dztruck

dztruck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    My truck is a 2012 freightliner cascadia with dd15

hi guys, my truck was running fine until suddenly the oil pressure started reading low. It was always around 20psi at idle. Now it is around 10-12psi during warm idle.

What is concerning me is i was going up a grade and even at 1300 rpm the oil is at 25psi. If i accelerate higher the check engine light flashes and it wants to shut off. I notice no loss in power before that. I let go of the accelerator and hit the engine overide just so it wont shut down on me.

I took it to a shop while i was OTR and we saw the crankcase breather leaking oil and some water or coolant. But they said it wouldnt be the reason why my pressure is low. The codes showing up are SCR nox conversion low (which i've had on for about 3 weeks), and spn 5444 which is the crankcase breather oil separater low.

My oil level is find and coolant level is good. Any idea what it could be? Oil pump?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    What's your odometer reading say?

If you're above 500k, it's a good idea to roll in new rod bearings to bring your oil pressure up, and while you're in there, roll new main bearings in too.

As the bearings wear, clearances increase allowing increased flow which reduces oil pressure.

The oil pump doesn't create pressure, it produces flow, and that resistance to the flow creates pressure.

If the tolerances between your bearings is excessive and worn, you will have less resistance, which equates to lower oil pressure.

I would suggest to park the truck and get this low oil pressure problem solved before you grenade your engine.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  4. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Yeah my truck just went over 500k miles.

What's the cost and time it takes to get new rod bearings? I've never had experience with it. I made it back home and taking it to the shop today. Would a bad head cause low oil pressure?

5. boneebone

Mar 13, 2009
    To roll in new Rods and Mains they need to drop the oil pan and drain the oil, so in the Fontana, CA area, Bearings, Oil Change and labor runs about $1200, and can be done in (1) one day.

The costs may be more or less in other parts of the Country.

A bad cylinder head isn't going to lower your oil pressure, the oil pressure may be low because of the continued overheating.

Do you have a bad cylinder head or head gasket too?

6. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    I am not sure the last time it was in the shop for coolant loss about 4 weeks ago they said no bad head gasket, it was the egr cooler. Had that replacrd for 2800.

My current issue happens when the engine is warmed up. It had normal psi when cold

7. boneebone

Mar 13, 2009
    It has normal psi when it's cold because the engine oil is thicker when it's cold.

Once the engine and the oil heat up, it gets thinner, which makes your low oil pressure problem worse, especially in the summer time

Are you using 10w30 oil or 15w40?

I believe the Detroit recommended oil for the DD15 is 10w30 Semi-Synthetic for fuel economy and longer oil drain intervals.

You may temporarily solve your problem by using 15w40, but it's inevitable you may need new bearings.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    you have to pickup o rings in the bottom have turned solid and dropping oil psi happens all the time on cascadias nothing new i would say to be on the safe side roll the rods and the mains as well since they already have to take the oil pan off to do the repair of the oil psi. nothing new o rings and gaskets oil and job and all cost about 800 can't remember the prices for the bearing of the top of my head but shouldn't be any more than 2500 with everything done

dunchues, mhyn, simon999 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Yeah i will wait to hear what they say. If it is a o rings. I will try to get the rods and done as well.

10. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    If i recall they used 10w30 about 5000 miles ag
    if i recall they used 10w30 on the last oil change about 5000 miles ago. Could coolant in the oil also cause it to go that low? The odd thing was i was losing coolant for months and couldnt find the leak, turned out to be egr cooler, however during that time i never had low oil pressure.

11. boneebone

Mar 13, 2009
    Coolant in the oil will cause the oil to get diluted, which in turn will make the oil thinner, so yes it may have lowered your oil pressure.

You can try changing the oil to 15w40 and see if it helps increase the oil pressure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.