DD15 or ISX

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by AlexD13, Sep 7, 2017.

1. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    so from my experience volvo is really good as long as you are willing to put ac couple of sets of injectors and also you have to keep up with maintenance but i dont know how the fuel milage is from what i have heard dd15 are getting better fuel in general, up to 2012 all of them were nightmares with the emission systems and all but 2013 was a good breaking point, they changed a lot of systems and it has been working out for the better, now this doesn't mean that these trucks dont need to be maintained but as long as they get maintained they do pretty well, I have a lot of customers that have left them to the breaking point and they come in and they go please fix it by this point they have to invest anywhere from 5 to 10K to get it done properly and no one has the money as long as you keep up with it they do well in my opinion i have more than one customer that has both d13 and dd15 over 1 mil all original and no major issues just with proper maintenance which is the part a lot of people missing now days.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    they know what are they doing :)

4. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    For DD15 ATS, they changed the strategy for regens and such on the later models.

Any used truck is going to have it's issue based upon how it was maintained and then what deferred maintenance was done. In addition, the specific vocation of the unit. I'm more apt to buy a higher mileage OTR truck that does line haul, than a delivery truck that does city routes. Why? Because the city route truck is going to have more stationary regen time and a more clogged DPF. Having a soot loaded DPF will cause NOx issues if they aren't serviced properly with the DDC certified remanned bake n blow.

My $.02 on that...

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    RocketyMan have you seen bent 1 boxes of DD15. I saw one yesterday. they removed the dpf-s and could not put back filters. 1 box was bent itself from heat maybe..

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    You never know how fleet did maintenance on em. Factory could have offered to put oil bypass to catch all of that soot when the engine is new.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If you idle a lot it doesn't matter which you choose, you will kill it. Whatever you choose, get an APU or you're gonna have problems.

I've seen lots of Detroit's with WTF after treatment problems, same as an ISX. The one wrench I use maintains a fleet of 50 mostly DD15's, and he is very unhappy with the after treatment. There is an item called the " One Box " that is like the computer for the after treatment, FIVE GRAND, he said all are replaced by 600K. I know when I was there a lot of them developed various oil leaks etc., so they have their problems as well.

If you don't change your oil at 20K or so, you'll have problems.
    If you run the guts out of it, you'll have problems.

I've had a DD15, a D13, and I'm running an ISX right now. I don't beat my engines, stay below 1500 for the most part. Bought them all used. So far so good.
    The Volvo got the worst mileage, maybe 6.5 MPG.
    DD15 was about 7.5 & so far this ISX is the champ at about 8 over all.

All have their known issues. Keep your fingers crossed, and keep some money on hand. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Whomever spent $40K on repairs for an engine shouldn't be allowed to own a truck. I paid $48K for my Volvo 670, $48K for this Cascadia with a 200K mile warranty ( $42K no warranty ), and the newer Cascadia at the time with the DD15 was $105K ( Which is a ripoff ).

A factory in frame on an ISX is $20,000. A brand new, brand new mind you, installed engine is $34K Detroit or ISX, dunno about the Volvo.

The wrench I know will in frame an ISX for $12K.

Don't beat the #### out of your truck, and it won't beat the #### out of you. All I run is the western U.S., so I spend a fair amount of time in the hills as well.

If it's worth it to you to get up some of these large passes, 3 minutes ahead of me, in the wrong gear, thrashing your engine, more power to you.

You can buy A LOT of oil, filters, and have a million miles worth of DPF cleanings for what an overhaul cost. But when you start to get long in the tooth with your engine, it's gonna need the inframe no matter what.

I'm starting to hear lots of WTF horror stories about used auto trannies as well, so I'd think about that.

Even brand new trucks have issues, and some are just lemons. So what do you do with your new warrantied truck? Take it to the dealer, wait there 3 or 4 days, hope they fix it right.......but the payment is still do.

Just hope you get a good one, and don't beat the #### out of it.

Penske is a good place to look, the are maintenance FREAKS, and keep all records.

Oh BTW, my check engine light has come on like 3 times. No noticeable power decrease or performance decrease. It stays on for like a day, then goes off. Old saying, I like old sayings " If it's not broke, don't fix it."
    There is a term we old timers use it's called a glich.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    fargonaz, bzinger and russtrucker Thank this.
  8. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I'm currently the ISX/ISX15 runner. Driving 2016 volvo with 415 hp isx15, running 355k miles so far. Company does oil change every 36k miles (pretty sure thats too much of that interval). No engine failure yet but had dpf sensors malfunctioned. Combining with 10 sp autoshift was never a good combo for isx15. Running on hills below 1600 rpm. I ran older isx (pre dpf engine) Past 600k miles had turbo replaced. Then the 08 t800 I drive sometimes when the volvo is in shop. Has 659k miles, engine was rebuilt and they never got valves adjusted. WTF.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Any pics? Where was it bent exactly?

Maybe ran over something? Maybe used a giant crowbar trying to get the DPF out and didn't fully undo the clamps? lol yikes...

10. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Newer isx is not bad engine if you do the right maintenance. Replace imap, egr, delta dpf , nox sensors and doser injector every 250k. Then will be all good. Older isx between 2012 and 2013 had fuel pump problems with ceramic plungers that ruined engines. My 2014 isx15 has steel plungers. Right now I have 380k on it and wasnt been in a shop yet. I do regular oil changes every 15k miles.

Dave_in_AZ and russtrucker Thank this.
  11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    1.png 2.png 3.png
    deformed 1 boxes. dealers are using porta-power devices to make them strait....lol...if you have access to dtna solution go there and read the stories...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.