DD15 won't run

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gtilogistics, Aug 16, 2015.

1. gtilogistics

gtilogistics Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2012
    So while going up the 5 near gustine, ca my cascadia displayed two yellow engine lights so I decided to pull over and all fluids checked fine. I pulled to a ta ten mines after, once I turned it off it wouldn't come back on. I've been here for two days now trying to figure this out. I had a roadside come here pull a camshaft sensor, replaced that on top near valve cover then changed the fuel filters... Still won't run. It will crank, start and #### off right away or it won't start at all. I'm really lost, what could be the issue?!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Are you sure rad. is full? Is fuel pump still working?

4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    You state BOTH yellow lights came on. The second yellow, the one that isn't labeled, is an emissions system fault indicator. Guess what, you got screwed with the camshaft sensor replacement cause that sensor will not enable the Emissions lamp.

You need to read the fault codes. You can find out how to display them for your model year online. Given your symptoms of the engine starting and then immediately dying I'd be leaning toward a problem with the DPF system. Could be as simple as a Doser injector problem preventing regens.

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Cascadia shows fault codes. turn the key, read it and post it here.

6. gtilogistics

Sep 16, 2012
    The code i am getting is SPN 723 FMI 31 ENGINE SPEED SENSOR

I replaced both cam and crankshaft sensors, check ecm terminal to see if it was dirty/oily, but wasnt. I towed it to Freightliner, lets see what they say

Honeybeenorris Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    there was only one fault code spn723 fmi 31? no other codes?

8. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    speed sensor-wire going into driveshaft area where it meets tranny, might give it a look, it wont go if thats unplugged or yanked out

Id even use a paperclip to bypass that particular sensor just for giggles to see if the truck runs..

Another bit for ya, my pal with same rig had sensor take him out...He was dumping too much water on his windshield with the hose while his wipers ran, water took out a sensor that lives up top near the hood/windsheld

Fingers crossed for ya

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    troubleshooting for spn 723 fmi 31

Attached Files:

10. gtilogistics

Sep 16, 2012
    Just called the dealer, they said they keep putting new cam/crank sensor it keeps throwing a CEL light...I told them to look elsewhere because i changed those.......oh boy! Must be something small and stupid with the electrical on these new tractors

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    you should check sensor supply 5 v before changing sensors. I feel its a wiring issue or something with acceleration pedal .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.