DD16 122SD shutting down issues

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Kmils09, May 28, 2020.

1. Kmils09

Kmils09 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    So I cant say Ive ever ran into this issue before with any of our freightliners. As of recently I have two trucks that will randomly shut down on their own. They only haul walking floor trailers and this is happening only while pumping off. Ive changed the battery shut off and the pmdb on the fire walls as those have been problems in the past. Any help is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I can see if you have a parameter that might be doing this. Also, you might be losing IGN signal to the CPC.

Last 6 of vin I can look up some wiring for you to check...

4. Kmils09

Kmils09 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Any help is much appreciated.

jz0703
    kl1492

Thank you!!!

5. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    Alrighty...it looks like you have a 2017 and a 2018 122SD. Both very similar wiring for what we're interested in checking.

Can you easily reproduce this problem? Do you have access to Diagnostic Link & have you checked for any fault codes? Could also be losing 12v supply...there would definitely be codes if there is a disagreement between the PT modules.

Let's check:
    CIRC 439A (IGN) to primarily CPC and MCM
    Verify if fuse F10 is cracked in PT PDM
    Verifying IGN relay in PT PDM
    Look at all connections to ensure no corrosion and that they are securely fastened
    (there is also a splice where this IGN signal is shared with all PT modules--not sure where that is located exactly

upload_2020-5-29_8-41-7.png

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  6. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    Here is the first page wiring that is supplemental:

upload_2020-5-29_9-14-43.png

7. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    Also out of curiosity...what type of PTO do you have on these trucks? Is it a hotshot or something?

And to reiterate your issue...do the trucks shutdown OTR or stationary?..or right after pumping? I am super curious if there is a parameter in the CPC with a timer in it. I vaguely remember there is a setting for this if you leave your truck idling too long with no input (this is a CARB compliant setting I think). Usually when I sit i the driver seat...i just blip the throttle every once in a while and the timer resets.

8. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    You do have this parameter in the MCM because you have those "Cali stickers" on the side of your truck.

upload_2020-5-29_9-27-23.png

Here is the feature listed in PSL:

8.2  Clean Idle Limiting Feature
    California has legislation that requires the engine manufacturer to limit the allowable engine idling time. Other states have adopted California’s Emission rules and this feature is activated on all GHG14/GHG17 DDEC13 engines.

Operation
    This shutdown feature is not an engine malfunction and is required to meet the state of California emissions regulations. After an automatic shutdown, the engine may be restarted and operated normally.

Idle Conditions

The idle timer is activated only when all criteria listed in the following table are met:

NOTE: If idle is below the Clean Idle speed (900 rpm) and the Idle Shutdown is not enabled, or the engine is 30g NOx or less per hour compliant, the engine will not shut down.
    Criteria for Clean Idle Timer Activation
    Engine is running and engine speed in greater than 900 rpm
    Coolant temperature is higher than 15.6°C (60°F)
    Vehicle is not moving
    Transmission is in neutral gear (or no neutral detection available)
    When the timer reaches five minutes (300 sec) while Park Brake is closed, or 15 minutes (900 sec) while Park Brake is open, the engine shutdown sequence will commence. If any of the criteria are not met, the timer will not be active. The timer will reset and begin counting from zero again once all the criteria for either condition are met. The engine shutdown sequence can be overridden by the conditions detailed in one of the following sections.

PTO Conditions

For applications that have a working PTO, the shutdown can be disabled.

If Remote PTO is active (CPC4 pin 2/9 is grounded and feature is enabled), the PTO and idle timers for the Clean Idle Limiting Feature are deferred until Remote PTO is inactive and the criteria described in the previous section are met.

Override Conditions

The timer is reset when one of the following conditions are met. To prevent tampering, permanently applying a condition will not defer the shutdown.

• Service brake pedal is actuated
    • Clutch pedal is actuated
    • Stop engine override is actuated
    • Accelerator pedal is actuated
    • Status of park brake changed
    Diagnostic Tools (DiagnosticLink® )

If a diagnostic tool is connected while the engine is running an additional 60 minutes idle time is granted. This session is available once per ignition cycle and will run out whenever idle or PTO conditions are met. When the idle or PTO conditions are no longer met, the diagnostic timer will be delayed.

If the tool is disconnected within this 60 minutes and either idle or PTO conditions are met, the engine will shutdown when either the diagnostic timer has run out or the regular timer for idle or PTO has reached its time to shutdown. If the diagnostic session takes longer than 60 minutes of idle time and idle or PTO conditions are met, the shutdown process will start.

Parked Regeneration

Parked Regeneration (HIR) will defer the shutdown process until the completion of the high-idle regeneration.

[paste:font size="5"]Interaction With Other Features

The features listed in the following table are affected by Clean Engine Idle.

Clean Engine Idle Limiting and Other Features
    Feature
    Interaction with Clean Engine Idle Limiting
    Traditional Idle and PTO Shutdown These features can be used. The Clean logic takes the minimum of the calibrated idle and PTO shutdown times. To prevent tampering, permanent override conditions will not affect the Clean Engine Idle Limiting logic functionality.

[/paste:font]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.