Dead end turnaround practice with our Instructor

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nahbrown, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)

Fun with our instructor at CDL school :cool: My wife was driving for this one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    no flashers when backing??

4. Nahbrown

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)
    I’ll let my wife know she’s failed me for the last Time

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Need to try that one at night in the pouring rain..”real world experience” :)

6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Was listening to something or other and there was something postulated.

Something to the effect of:
    The fastest way to get the "right way of doing something" is to post the "wrong way" of doing it.

Reason being, on the internet, people are more concerned with signalling how right THEY are, not actually helping someone.

7. W923

W923 Heavy Load Member

Feb 28, 2022
    The tractor lights are flashing and possibly the trailer side lights but everything on the back is dark. Seems like an equipment issue not driver fault.

8. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I'm jealous, that school and your instructor are leaps and bounds ahead of what my school did with me. That's very impressive.

9. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    You need to tell your instructor, we suggest a little tighter. He needs to hire some Irate drivers to have pulling up real close, leering, and just being thier normal old stupid self maybe even trying to force thier way around.

10. Nahbrown

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)
    I can’t speak to what the other instructors do with their students when they go on the road away from the training yard. Our grumpy old timer just straps on his neck brace and takes us to interesting places and challenging routes. We have docked at a local business when they weren’t using their loading docks, parked at truck stops and couple times now, we’ve done this turnaround three times. Yesterday we thought we were going to have an easy day when he said we’re going to do some interstate driving… We got off two exits down to do some no shoulder country roads where we absolutely had to take all of the oncoming lane to make turns or wheels would go into the ditch. At one point I had to wait for a car to decide what it was going to do because I couldn’t turn until they either backed up, or went forward. “ Just wait, them sons of #####es won’t sit there all day” :) We’re not allowed to waive them to go ahead because then we responsible if they do something stupid, I guess that makes sense.

I have more videos of the roads we’ve been driving, but I don’t want to spam the board anymore than I already have.

Don’t give him any ideas, he seems to know everybody would have volunteers, waiting, no pay required!:D

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Sounds like you found a good one.
    Always remember this.....stop. Just stop. The rest of the world will carry on, but if you don't know what to do, if you don't know where you're going, if you don't think you can make the turn, if you're unsure if you're even on the right road......throw on your 4 ways and just stop.
    Gather your thoughts, and carry on.
    Very few bad things happen when you're stationary. Unless you're on the interstate.....don't do that. Go to the next exit and gather your thoughts.

Good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.