Deadhead

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, May 18, 2019.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    If you can’t understand how driving those miles would have made me late in the end you might want to actually put it to pen and paper till you do. It’s pretty simple common sense, but this thread isn’t even about that.

kemosabi49 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dosgatos

dosgatos Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Good to hear you're not in for a safety meeting. Fyi EVERYBODY gets called into safety here sooner or later. Not a big deal. You spend a day at the terminal for a one on one sit down and a group meeting which satisfies your annual requirement to stay eligible for quarterly bonus. Course if you're called in you loose the bonus for that quarter and your bonus pay gets reset to the starting level. Stings if you've been clean for several years and have to start over.

4. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    I've been given a 900 mile deadhead before. They wanted me to reposition from a walmart dc in Hermiston OR to one of our terminals in SoCal so they could find me some freight, because there was nothing in my home terminal's planners' jurisdiction. Sometimes they just have to pay you a bit less to drive a bunch of empty miles so that they can minimize the amount of money they're losing. Remember, they make money the same way you make money: when the truck is moving

5. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    When I was on a John Deere dedicated account, exactly half of my miles were deadhead. Pick up a combine in the quad cities, deliver it, bounce back to the QC. From Baltimore or Corpus Christi were probably the longest.

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    LOL, Friend of mine drove for the big John Deere dealer here in Fairbanks, he had some major deadhead in every trip. lol

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    San Diego-Albuquerque was my longest D.H. I once was privy to J.B. Hunt deadheading about 30 trucks to Ok. from Denver. (re-positioning) Sometimes its drivers, sometimes trailers.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.