Dealing with bad breakdowns

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 727Guy, Oct 17, 2018.

1. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    How goes it guys and gals. I need some much needed advice from the owner Ops out there, but anyone is more than welcome to chirp as well. I have a 2012 Peterbilt 587, the ECM started going insane on October 1st, so I took it to Peterbilt in Houston TX. Waited a week, diagnosis, needed a new ABS modular and ABS harness, waited another week, both parts are on backorder from the manufacturer and the harness has to be made. Could take between 1 to 8 weeks. I'm in a loaner truck, so I'm running for waaaayyyy less. So my question, if you guys were in my shoes what would you do? I'm not saying the guy at Peterbilt was lying, but at the same time this isn't the 1st time I was told buy a dealership a part isn't in stock, yet, drove 400 miles North and BOOM, another dealer had it. I kinda wanna call as many dealerships as possible and check with them for the part. My biggest concern is getting my truck back ASAP so I'm not running for peanuts and paying for fuel. PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Why does a loaner truck make less than yours? Didnt know different tucks affected load board rates.

Edit: besides renting a truck vs a paid off one i understand

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I'm leased to Landstar. Normal percentage is 65% of the line haul, another BCO loaned me his truck at 45% of the line haul. I calculated the numbers this morning and I'm running for under $1.10 before fuel. It was either take that or sit at home for 8 weeks.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Of course call every dealer that you can

Call junk yards maybe somebody has a harness and a module there.

I truly wish you the best of luck, but that's why I hate computerized trucks.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Get part numbers, call dealers. Rent car if needed to collect parts. If truck won't move to a shop that will do the repair relatively quickly then say to dealer here are the parts, fix it. If dealer is gonna drag feet then do it yourself in the yard. Most of this stuff is take out the old put in the new. As long as it isn't something that needs to be timed. Abs modular and harness should be plug and play. Probably have to make sure a bunch of air fittings on it don't leak at full pressure. Other than that get it done.

I will never understand why so many drivers so eagerly give up about 1/3 and pull for landstar. That's a heck of a lot of money.

7. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Well. You got to pull out your smartphone with your part number and call every dealer in your general area and then some. Truckers path makes this real easy now, showing dealers by map location.

An Abs harness very well can be a build part depending on the age of the truck. But your ECM went insane means what? And why are they changing abs equipment and not your ECM? Have you tested and ohmed out your own stuff? Have you ran your own diagnostics? There is a chance that your waiting on a part that has nothing to do with your issue.

Junkyards may be an option too

ChevyCam, 727Guy and Tug Toy Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I don’t know why a guy would wAit up to 8 weeks for an ABS module when he says the original problem was (the ECM freaking out).

Or either way really? I think I’d just buy another truck if I had to wait 8 weeks?

x1Heavy, AModelCat, JonJon78 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    In the face of 8 weeks I could rebuild my own engine and I've never even changed my own oil. But then again I'm the last person to just sit there and say "oh ok" while some outside force or problem is threatening my livelihood.

Op needs to use the thinker better plus grow some balls. Or fail. Makes no difference to me.

x1Heavy, AModelCat and 727Guy Thank this.
  10. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I obtained both part numbers about an hour ago and will be calling as many Peterbilts as possible tomorrow. And the honest truth, I chose Landstar because of the freedom. I don't enjoy forced dispatch. I'd prefer to go where I want when I want.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I obtained both part numbers about an hour ago and will be calling as many Peterbilts tomorrow. An when I stated the ECM went insane I meant everything from the RPMs, oil pressure, water pressure, fuel, and odometer dropping from 0 to max repeatedly.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.