Dealing with bad breakdowns

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 727Guy, Oct 17, 2018.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yeah, at a minimum you should be getting fault code printouts with the fault code numbers and etc so you can do research and gather intel yourself. This could be as simple as an intermittent/ full on power loss to the ECM. Which has nothing to do with an abs harness.

Getting these codes, doing the research, learning the systems can give you a more informed position in making decisions on what to do and what not to do. Come back to us with a code or something more than a symptom. Because if your willing to wait up to 8 weeks and don’t even know the computer readouts... that’s crazy!

gokiddogo and 727Guy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Exactly what I'm doing tomorrow. Calling every dealership possible. This isn't the first time Peterbilt has told me a part wasn't in stock, then I drove 100 miles North up the interstate and purchased the exact same part Peterbilt stated they didn't have nor any other dealership in a 700 mile radius. Apparently their inventory system is inaccurate.

4. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    J1939 I believe. Communication link code. It's a 2012 Peterbilt 587

5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Need to know exactly. J1939 is a multiplex system that includes the abs and more. If there’s a major J1939 code it very well might show abs fault codes because abs utilizes J1939 data transfer. I know a 2012 Pete 587 owned by a friend who had a no start, ECM power issue, (J1939 ABS) issue. He had a very corroded power wire to the ECM. After we cut into that wire, it was ice blue for inches upon feet. This caused the resistance, not allowing the amperage for the volts. If your ECM isn’t powering right then your J1939 is probably having issues too

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    727Guy Thanks this.
  6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Some thoughts.
    Supprised that the abs ecm and harness both fail? Unless corrosion at the main abs ecm plug.
    Abs can absolutly interrupt 1939 which can cause gauges to go wonky, ect.
    If it is the abs causing issues, unplugging it should fix it then? Id drive with no abs until the proper parts arrive to fix it. Worst is an abs light will be on and possibly a cel.
    Abs harnesses will get made as per s/n and sometimes it can take awhile to get them.
    I have had to wait 2 months for a full set of harnesses for 1990s trucks.

I have had long wait times for parts to repair properly but most times done a temporary fix or bypass to allow the customer to keep running. Why would I want a dead truck clogging up yardspace?

gokiddogo, wore out, AModelCat and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If there is any other information that you can give be as specific as possible.

There are guys on this site they really know their stuff regarding those computerized trucks and you can trust their advice they'll help you if they can.

Brettj3876 and 727Guy Thank this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    8 weeks....?....huh? Are they walking the parts there from China or something.

You sir have better anger management skills than I do. Something is off? Bco and shop have a back door deal or something? 2 months is a month longer than doing a full on rebuild

gokiddogo, shogun and 727Guy Thank this.
  9. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Trust me, I can truly see that these guys know their stuff about trucks. In the original post I completely left out the J1939 code, and once Peterbilt had the truck for about 3 days they mentioned the ABS harness and abs module being heavily corroded causing high resistance.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    They gave me an estimated
    That's just the estimated wait time for the parts to be made and delivered from Paccar since he stated no other dealerships in the vicinity had the parts and they were on back order from the manufacturer. 1 to 8 weeks. I'd prefer to just call as many dealerships as possible and pray someone else has both parts before I wait 2 months.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    It is quite possible for an ABS module to spam up a datalink. We had a bad batch of J1939 modules that control a posi air shutoff (an aftermarket component used on stuff in the oilfield). It would cripple the entire unit. Unplug it and everything would run perfect.

Odds are one or the other failed. Highly unlikely both did IMO. Computer modules rarely fail. My money would be on either a faulty wire in the datalink or a power/ground wire issue to the ABS module (if the shop correctly diagnosed that node as the source of failure).

If its just a broken or corroded power/ground wire to the ABS module, is there any reason why they can't just splice in a fused external wire to get you up and running until the harness shows up?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.